Is this the end of 3dcart updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the end of 3dcart updates?

I understand that we have to pay for 3rd party apps when they are integrated into 3dcart. These companies have to make money, and 3dcart makes their offerings available to us for an integration fee..
    However, basic advancement that are industry standard, and functionality that other companies do not charge for like Facebook Connect, the and Pinterest button should not be at an additional cost.
    The Pinterest button takes five minutes to add either in the Social Commerce or as a stand alone, but 3dcart charges $199 for it! I just signed up for Facebook Connect for $199.
    So is every new feature from now on going to cost $$. Is Twitter connect going to be another 199 (or $249 at regular price)?
    Is this a complete change in development direction and every new feature from now on will be an additional charge??

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
    Is this a complete change in development direction and every new feature from now on will be an additional charge??
    Change, hardly..

I remember when I signed up and held off until 3.2 because I was told Advanced Category Filters would be in it. They weren't but low-n-behold they were available for a fee. Want a fly-out menu, sure for a fee. Front page image rotator, for a fee. They say an automated Google product feed is in the works, want to bet it will be for a fee?

Charges for services that are considered fundamental to e-commerce and are included in other carts. While, at the core, gzip not installed completely, sitemaps causing problems, unreliable email, and I'm sure a search of the forum will turn up more.

You would think that by having a good foundation and making features standard, they would attract more customers. Instead, existing customers shop around for other solutions that include these features.

I guess, in the end, their business model works for them because if they weren't making money they would change it.

Comment

Evolution,
      I understand about the Advanced search as it uses a third party technology and they demand to be compensated, not that 3dcart could not improve the search function that is built into the cart. I can also understand charging for advanced design services.
      However, I find the Sitemap problems unforgivable, and the Google Feed lack of update the same. Also charging for such simple things like the Pinterest button is unconscionable.
      I believe that over the last two years another big e-commerce cart introduction on the market sucked lots of the new subscribers, so instead of working on improving the cart to be more competitive and attract more new subscribers, it must have been decided to use the existing base for additional revenue sources.
      I hope I am wrong, as we have invested a lot over the last two years since we moved to 3dcart. We had high hopes, however just about now I am re-evaluating on whether we made the right decision.

Comment

We had high hopes, however just about now I am re-evaluating on whether we made the right decision.
        Nothing new to contribute to the conversation, just wanted to say that we are doing the same. You are not alone.
        Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

Comment

Evolution,
          I understand about the Advanced search as it uses a third party technology and they demand to be compensated, not that 3dcart could not improve the search function that is built into the cart. I can also understand charging for advanced design services..
          Just for clarification, I agree with you on the Advanced Serch feature. I was referring to the Advanced Category Filters which is an in-house app.

Comment

We aren't actively shopping for another cart, but have started keeping our eyes open. 3d is still pretty good for us, but like others have noted, the incomplete features can be annoying.

I don't know where the line is on what should be paid and what should be included no charge. I have no problem paying for "premium" features that are hard to develop and have limited appeal to a wide base of merchants.

But, given the half finished features we have gotten lately, I would hesitate to pay for anything that was developed by the same people.

I just set up Amazon Checkout the other day and this is another "not quite finished" module - the checkout buttons aren't where they are supposed to be and support wants you to modify your cart pages. But, if you modify them, they aren't going to support them. Why can't it work stock?

GoogleCheckout and PayPal Standard Checkout questions: Why can't we get checkout questions that work with these payment methods?

There are other things that just don't quite work correctly and it is obvious that they were designed to be a marketing point to get new customers rather than a fully functioning part of the cart.

Geez, I kind of ranted there...:(

DaveW

Comment

Agreed. I feel I have spent a lot of time the last six months building my website only to find features half work. I don't need to keep fixing an included feature or worrying about them not working (i.e. the mobile commerce still not working on the iphone i0s 5 platform. I am sure we could pay to get that optimized.) I need to build my business, marketing, etc... or I won't need the 3dcart service at all. Maybe client turnover and replacement is part of their business plan?? Doesn't make sense to me. All business should want to keep existing customer base happy.
              Marsha,

Comment

I understand that we have to pay for 3rd party apps when they are integrated into 3dcart. These companies have to make money, and 3dcart makes their offerings available to us for an integration fee..
                However, basic advancement that are industry standard, and functionality that other companies do not charge for like Facebook Connect, the and Pinterest button should not be at an additional cost.
                The Pinterest button takes five minutes to add either in the Social Commerce or as a stand alone, but 3dcart charges $199 for it! I just signed up for Facebook Connect for $199.
                So is every new feature from now on going to cost $$. Is Twitter connect going to be another 199 (or $249 at regular price)?
                I agree. We shouldnt have to pay for anything other carts are giving away for free. It makes me feel like 3D is taking advantage of their current users. I set up Pinterest in 5 minutes, replacing the standard social bookmark code.

As far as FB goes, I came here to try and get a little more input on it. Its $199 and I am considering buying it at that cost - I wont pay $249, however, I want some reviews first. My other fear is 3D will make it free soon, since their direct competitors offer it for free. Dont want to pay then find they give it away in the next update.

Comment

In regards to FB connect being standard elsewhere, this is taken from a 3D Cart system competitors website:

"Support Facebook connect, Twitter and Google login ability. This means with these new customer login options, your customers can actually create an account on your site quickly with their Facebook login, Twitter login or Google/GMail login."

They are offering FB, Twitter and Google connect FREE to their current and new customers.

Why is 3D Cart forcing us to pay for this??????????

I have the damn thing in my cart on the app page but this infuriates me and causes me to hesitate completing the order.
                  Last edited by rburton34; 03-28-2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Yes, quite annoying that these features are extra. I count at least a 3 direct competitors that have the FB login integration included free.

I got around to asking the other day in support if the IOS mobile was working yet and they told me yes. I find it weird that they would not make an announcement that it has been fixed.

Comment

I apologize if we haven't been doing a good job at communicating the new features and fixes that we constantly do at 3dcart, and if in any way we gave the impression that only a couple of paid feature were being added to the software.

Every month we implement many bug fixes and implement new features to improve the 3dcart platform. I'm making a commitment to publish on the forum at the end of every month our internal release notes.

As far as paid add-ons go, we only do this when manual implementation is required. I'm sure there are companies out there that will have these for free. At the same time I can find companies that will charge you a transaction fee for the same feature;, and companies that currently charge you for features that are free with 3dcart like Autoresponders, Mobile Store, Daily Deal, etc.

I just posted the release notes for March here,
                      http://forums.3dcart.com/announcemen...html#post22658

We have exciting new things coming on Q2, including MailChimp, Fedex Web Services update and Endicia Label Server integration.

Jimmy Rodriguez

Comment

Working...
                      X