Coming from Bigcommerce to 3dcart could use some guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming from Bigcommerce to 3dcart could use some guidance

I just recently signed up for a few stores here at 3dcart. I am currently using the Bigcommerce platform. I have actually been asked to leave bigcommerce along with a group of other users. We were users that were heavily active in their user forums. We were all growing and starting to see the huge flaws in their software. We started calling them out on the lack or development, the lack of real customer support, and bug fixes. We were constantly promised features only to have them be broken, half developed, or they would back burner features the BC community had voted up to number 1 and develop something that was already done and make it new again, but completely broken. Then they would market it to new store owners as the second coming of Christ, but it was never finished or working. They just would tell us we know we are relaying it to our engineering team and it would go months and just get forgotten, but still used to sell new users on and then they would complain in the forums about it not working. So our core group complained to much and started talking being very vocal about our feelings and one by one we were banned from the forums and then received termination notices a few days after words and given only 30 days to move entire operational stores.

So here I am. I am trying to get a large store moved inside of 30 days. I have over 3600 products, 6900 categories and we do 6 figures a year in sales. This is a successful growing store. We were growing 50% a year. I think we were starting actually stunted by the BC software and their check out functions. We would have constant errors in checkouts so we were never getting above a .7% conversion rate. We closed out 2014 with .7% conversion. We want to get our conversion rate up around 1.5-2%. We would love to see 3% but settle for 2% This alone would mean almost triple in revenue. I am hoping with some of the tools here at 3dcart we can make this happen.

I have had my eye on 3dcart for along time. It is the best solution? I dont know. It may not be, but we are going to find out how well it works for us. I do know a few competitors are on this platform and are doing very very well. Million dollar stores. We look to chase them down and join them. So for the next year or so it will probably do for us.

I have started the Migration, I actually paid 3dcart to do this task, but I am not getting much in the way of progress from them. This is where my disappointment starts to get me worried. The support and sales staff has gone well above and beyond helping me get things figured out and start setting up our stores, but now its been two weeks since i have heard back from the tech doing our migration. I have sent 3 emails one CCing our sales rep and still nothing. I really do not have the time to be on the phone with them talking them through things, so I prefer email communication and if needed a phone call or two. Even writing this i really do not hve the time, but I can sit down for a min write some and then go do what needs done in our shop and then come back later and finish. Has anyone ever used 3dcart to migrate stores? How did it play out and were you satisfied? I was gong to hire shopping-cart-migration.com to do the work, but them being from outside the USA and never dealing with hem before made me nervous to fork out the 650.00 they charge for the complete migration. 3dcart was a bit more costly, but allowed me to break the payments in two so that I can have leverage over them if the job is not done in time, or to my standards. The biggest worry I have now is that Big commerce has given us a solid deadline that if we do not have the store up and moved by then they will delete all our data from their servers and leave us with nothing. There is no leeway there is no give that was a final word from their CEO saying go F yourself, good luck finding another cart like ours in time.

Has anyone come from Bigcommerce and was is a upgrade from their lack of features? how did you adjust to learning the google shopping feeds, and other things that were pretty easy on their platform? So far we have a decent basic template , which is what we want. We do not need fancy templates, we just need a good category layout and a good mobile template. The trial store we setup had a better mobile template then our big commerce store did after 2.5 years of being there. I think that alone should help bring our conversion rates up.

Any how I have to finish up some product fabrication, and then I have to make some dreaded phone calls to 3dcart to demand some updates and some progress on getting our store moved. I look forward to being involved a lot more in the forums and learning a lot from you guys.

Thank you

Jon @ ForcedFabllc.com
    Last edited by jimmy3dcart; 01-24-2019, 03:25 PM.

Phew, that is a long post. Shorter would be much better, as I believe most of us are pressed for time and some will not read such a long post.

You will find half developed features here too. It appears it is the nature of the beast. Marketing wins over function.
    However 3dcart will be responsive to your concerns. You can contact the owners directly if you do not receive satisfaction from support. They are members of this forum.
    As for feeds, if you want to do a good job with the, I would suggest signing up for Godatafeed for about $100/mo.
    There is also another service (you will find it on the 3dcart Appstore), that will transfer your data over from another cart.
    If you need design help for reasonable $$, you can contact Shaun on thecartdesigner.com . He is also on this forum

Comment

Wow.. you could have exported All of your BigCommerce data in the time it took to write that post. You have to work pretty hard at it to get fired from a store platform.... I'm going to throw a guess out there that you all have eBay in common?

3dcart has robust import and export features. Getting data into your new store is what I'd be concerned with.... Design fluff can come later

Everything is compromise, you will never find the perfect store unless you build it yourself.
      www.gogglesandglasses.com

Comment

Originally posted by Goggles View Post
        Wow.. you could have exported All of your another cart data in the time it took to write that post. You have to work pretty hard at it to get fired from a store platform.... I'm going to throw a guess out there that you all have eBay in common?

3dcart has robust import and export features. Getting data into your new store is what I'd be concerned with.... Design fluff can come later

Everything is compromise, you will never find the perfect store unless you build it yourself.

Lol, yes I am a bit long winded.

we actually do not have an Ebay store. We did years ago, but the fees and margins did not make sense. It was a lot of work for less pay.

We are only concerned about getting the data moved. So far we just are not seeing the progress. 3dcart has actually moved all of our products over as of yesterday. The only problem is that they forgot to move any of the category data over with it. We do not navigate by brand, we navigate by Make and model. So categories are a must have! I have sent them numerous emails about status updates and we are going on day 7 of no responses. I do not want to call, but looks like I am going to have to, I just need some answers and
        assurances they are working on it.

The longer this takes, the more I am learning and think I could probably tackle this on my own using some automation software I just purchased. We shall see if they get it done soon and Ill be happy, but if I do not see some progress next week. I will likely have to start on my own as a contingency plan and make sure we get it done.

getting fired from Bigcommerce was actually not a lone feat. At least three other highly successful stores were booted along with us. We are talking stores doing around 150-750K a year being thrown out on the street. We were part of a vocal group demanding answers and features to work like they are marketing them too. We happen to piss off their social media girl so it seems they decided we were not worth the income they were getting from us.

Jon

Comment

So Jon,

Sorry you got caught up in that. I've been thru several carts in 10 years and all have had shortcomings. I have learned that getting mad, gets expensive and I never have enough time. Time is in short supply.

What is your status now on the project? You most likely could export all of your data by yourself. You should, if nothing else to make a backup.

I think BC has a good export feature and you should be able to FTP your images and save locally.

I've got a 66 bug I'm going to put an ej36 into in the future :-)
          www.gogglesandglasses.com

Comment

Originally posted by Goggles View Post
            So Jon,

Sorry you got caught up in that. I've been thru several carts in 10 years and all have had shortcomings. I have learned that getting mad, gets expensive and I never have enough time. Time is in short supply.

What is your status now on the project? You most likely could export all of your data by yourself. You should, if nothing else to make a backup.

I think BC has a good export feature and you should be able to FTP your images and save locally.

I've got a 66 bug I'm going to put an ej36 into in the future :-)
            haha another book! I write and read fast so this for me is like a paragraph.

No problem. I know how it is. i have also been through several carts since 05. started off on CREloaded.

Status is up in the air. I have had zero contact from my sales rep or project person. Yesterday afternoon I decided to make the dreaded phone call. I was put on hold and then hung up on. Accident or not, I reluctantly called because I do not have time for things like that, which i was half expecting. Needless to say I was pretty pissed off. So I sent an email to Gonzalo and Jimmy. I do not have time to play around and I have learned good or bad make your self known to the Exec team and you will be dealt with quickly. After all that is how I ended up getting booted by BC...
            I was sent an email late yesterday from someone in the company director of professional relationships or someone. They are handling my Migration now. They are going to assign me a project manager and contact me today to go over what the break down was. Hopefully it will be less excuses more action.

I have exported all my data from BC. Customer files, Orders, and Products.

I spent a hour or so going over the export file from 3dcart and then started looking at my BC export file. I think I see where they are going wrong. I honestly could probably get this done. I just bought some automation software that can handle database tasks I could probably make fast work of it. I just really did not want to take a crash course on this all at once under a tight time line. I thought 3dcart had some better developed software like cart2cart does that would aid in the migration. or hell I would not be mad if they paid cart2cart to do it for them. I assumed 3dcart could call them up and get a nice deal being who they are.
            The largest issues I think are that I have 3600+ categories. I dont think 3d and BC use the same separator values in the CSV for those. But this should be rather easy to overcome with someone who knows excell very well. I am sure I will learn it myself tonight. I have another store I am moving that I can learn on, it has only 100 products and dozen categories.

66 beetle. I love old vw's I wouldnt mind getting my hands on one, or rather a old 60-70's 911 to play motor swaps with. haha

Comment

Figured out some of our issues on the data.

I manually just migrated some products on our other site. I still have a lot of work do to with images and URLs and modifying the template , but the main data is moveable and easy.

The categories are still going to be a PITA, but I think I have a way around that. I think BC uses a ; where 3dcart uses @ they also have different ways of handling when a product is in multiple categories. This is the hurdle that will make it work smooth once i figure out how they work.

It seems like bigcommerce has a few different export templates. One named Default and another named bulk edit. The problem I think 3dcart developers had is that "default" is the wrong template to use, it has different data then the "bulk edit" template. The "bulk edit" template has the correct data we need where "Default" has incorrectly configured data.

Here is our smaller site I am handling on my own. Its a work in progress.
              ISCcoilovers.com BigCommerce site
              Welcome to Sample Store - Sample Slogan

Now I also need to figure out how images are linked from the back end to the product CSV file so I can download all the products from Bigcommerce and then upload them into 3dcart and make the association. I have never used CSV files to do this part so its new and unknown to me.

Sorry for the book again, but maybe one day someone can use this to figure out their issues.

Jon

Comment

When migrating data, it helps to set up a map. Use a spreadsheet, and have 3 columns.

Data Source What you need to do to it. Data Target

This way it's easy to figure out what you need to do.

Good tools are:
                Open Office spreadsheets - they do a nice job with XML files.
                Microsoft Access

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFabllc View Post
                  Figured out some of our issues on the data.

I manually just migrated some products on our other site. I still have a lot of work do to with images and URLs and modifying the template , but the main data is moveable and easy.

The categories are still going to be a PITA, but I think I have a way around that. I think BC uses a ; where 3dcart uses @ they also have different ways of handling when a product is in multiple categories. This is the hurdle that will make it work smooth once i figure out how they work.

It seems like another cart has a few different export templates. One named Default and another named bulk edit. The problem I think 3dcart developers had is that "default" is the wrong template to use, it has different data then the "bulk edit" template. The "bulk edit" template has the correct data we need where "Default" has incorrectly configured data.

Here is our smaller site I am handling on my own. Its a work in progress.
                  ISCcoilovers.com another cart site
                  Welcome to Sample Store - Sample Slogan

Now I also need to figure out how images are linked from the back end to the product CSV file so I can download all the products from another cart and then upload them into 3dcart and make the association. I have never used CSV files to do this part so its new and unknown to me.

Sorry for the book again, but maybe one day someone can use this to figure out their issues.

Jon
                  You're a frank person, it seems. So am I. I've been doing this a long time, and have a lot of experience. So here's what I see:

1. If you try to own these forums, you will get ignored. Although 3DC responds well after a little badgering, they probably don't want to be on forums 24/7.

2. I've been with 3DC since 2006 in some capacity or another- when the cart was still a baby. They do add features, but quite honestly, they haven't changed much. It has it's ups and downs. You're paying for a somewhat basic cart, for a basic price. if you want high-end, flawless features, you have to go buy Magento or something else, and it'll cost you $1K a month or more, plus development.

3. 3DC does support well. They'll take care of your issues. Their cart doesn't do mobile that well, in my opinion- it's something they have to work on. I'm a little suspect on SEO, as well.

4. If you have products that sell well, you're nuts not to move them to other marketplaces, no matter the fees. If you're an efficient operation, it's worth it, unless they're highly competitive products.

5. We did BC for over a year. They're ok, but I prefer 3DC. BC isn't that much different, but to do certain things you have to learn to become a programmer. You don't with 3DC.

That's my take on it.....

Comment

Our move to 3dcart seems to have worked. We are not seeing the traffic we were on Bigcommerce, but we also just got up and running live on 3/18/15 We have already nearly hit our slow month revenue numbers which is more then I expected with getting launched more then half way through the month. This means if all goes well and our next month moves at a decent pace we should be seeing almost a 25-30% increase over our Big commerce revenue with out having even done too much damage control on SEO and spending a little less on adwords. We are also struggling to get our Bing shopping feeds figured out in Godatafeed.

Comment

Aww, too bad I missed this post when you first authored it, Jon. I would have chimed in about experiencing exactly the same phenomenon (feature stagnation, half-baked / broken features, forum drama, Facebook banning, termination) with Volusion. I think you're in a good place though.

I remember seeing a post here on the 3dcart forums many months ago in which the user expressed concern about the lack of participation (or posts) here in the 3dcart store owner community. My response was something like, "that's because there are so few problems here." :)

Best of luck!
                      - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

I hope so, I really do not want to have to move again! I do though for see us ending up on a self hosted open source platform in the next few years.

I am about to launch my third site this weekend so I am still looking at other options just to get a feel for whats current, but I think we will call 3dcar our home for it as I can share the database I develop among all our sites which makes product creation easier on me in the long run, I can create or move it to each site we own with out having to re do all the data.

Even our small site that has zero advertising is already outselling the bigcommerce version of itself. 1 year with BC and the site did 6K in sales. not even 1 month with 3dcart and its done 3K in sales and this is a site that I set and forget. I think with some actual work on it and finishing out the product catalog it will easily become a 6figure site by years end. My next one is identical to it , but a better selling brand and its is the brands name and product type in the URL so it will kill it with google ranking. Probably end up selling it to the brand due to sales competition.

Comment

Been here five years - this is our sixth host and forth platform - I find the majority of time I spent arguing with support is nothing I could have learned having run more than 100 websites over period of 12 years - that said they do answer the phone 24 seven if I had to do it over I would learn how to be a CSS jockey because the template system is what drives everything.

Were migrating to the premium responsive design template as we speak - I'm finding several minor bugs along the way that there actually fixing.

On your migration I hope you figure out a way to bring over things like reviews and customer questions because I never could

The biggest problem I see is much like Facebook releasing products without testing or many cases without a lot of thought

Uptime is acceptable but sometimes you have to go outside 3-D card to get the answers you need - their plug-ins are weak and clunky - I just launched an eBay store and it's painful but were doing it and we don't use Google feed - we use godatafeed - for $120 bucks a month it's worth it for the support alone

I'll never understand why hosting companies get belligerent with outspoken merchants - I admire your effort at moving such a big store - I will sell critical organs to raise cash for customizations before I go through migration again - just to repair the pushing down of a single folder level for all the images is a project in and of itself

Good move on not using overseas vendors - I've done it a few times and always ended up with the fuzzy end of the lollipop

Comment

ForcedFabllc, not sure if you heard but you might be glad you got booted from BigCommerce since they just had a FIVE DAY outage effecting around 5% of their customers. Apparently they are too cheap to do basic disaster recovery. That's absolutely mind-boggling. I don't think any serious e-commerce retailer could consider going with them after that, I know we never would.

We've been with 3dcart about as long as windycityparrot and they aren't perfect but they get the job done, you can reach someone when you need to, and they fix problems. I haven't seen anyone else even close to their level for the price. And you definitely won't get shut down for 5 days!

Comment

Things are looking up. We are sitting at 7 days in to the month and are already at half our normal sales numbers for this month. We have turned down around 5K in sales already this month due to industry wide inventory shortages from the port strikes out west. So far so good!

I can believe it! They are a company with high pressure sales force and the only developers are from india and probably odesk. I doubt very much that out of their 2-300 employees that even 50 of them are dedicated to the software programing and development. I would be that 40 of them are managers 20 executives, 10 developers and the rest are sales people. their legal person I had to argue and threaten was a client success manager the month before . it reeks of a fraud scheme over there where they are pumping up revenue numbers to lure in investors to pump up their number to launch a IPO and get their stock in the company to split and make them billionaires and to walk away Internet startup rich and then go on to other crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X