Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barcodes Changing to Scientific Numbers

Hi,

When I export my exist product DB so I can import to my new 3Dcart store, the barcodes are changing to scientific numbers.

I am using CSV file through MS Excel.

Is there any way to keep the barcodes from changing.

See the image here http://screencast.com/t/pXu7r6UyhpqL

Thanks,

Richard
    Last edited by RichiamOrganics; 03-29-2016, 03:20 AM.

thats excel, not 3dcart. More info here
    I would like to prevent Excel behavior that any large number I enter is stored as a number, then abbreviated to scientific notation. Is it possible to tell Excel 2007 to stop doing this?

Comment

Hi jleclair,

I know it is an Excel issue, that's why I was wondering what and how other 3dcart users did to over come this issue.

I have looked at the links you sent me, which is pretty much the same information I came across myself.

Thanks,

Richard

Comment

Have you tried to format the numeric cell as text for the column involved?

Comment

Something weird happening here for sure. All the old files don't work, but I just downloaded the latest file and it seemed to work by formatting to number.

I also had to save it as an excel 2003 file rather than a CSV file, otherwise it reverts back to scientific when you re-open the file.

Hopefully once I import to the new site all should be good.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

If you have SKUs/MPNs with leading zeros, you may find it handy to use the Open Office software to open those files. It is free software.

Comment

Download and use OpenOffice Calc - the free opensource spreadsheet software that looks and acts like Excel, but better. When you open a CSV in Calc, the software gives you the opportunity to specify the data type of each column before you load the document. This helps - but generally, Calc will not try to auto format long numbers. Useful for domestic USPS tracking numbers too.
              - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Thanks for the tips on OpenOffice, I will try that if I need too.

I also just tried Google Sheets, which didn't change the barcodes, so now I have some options..

Regards,

Richard

Comment

Quite apparent when a product's ID number becomes a scientific number overnight and you know nothings been imported for two years -

It's clearly one more bug in their many databases but 3-D cart support will argue with you like you're a moron and you can know nothing about this - all you can do is fix it - and move on -

I prefer Google sheets because they are more flexible and mobile than Excel

Comment

windycityparrot Thanks for the part about Google Sheets. I'm sorry you had an issue in the past where it seemed like there was a bug that did what usually happens in a spreadsheet program, like Excel. Also, if someone argued with you like you were a moron, the best thing to do is to share so we can correct that behavior. If you can share some details about that experience, I'll make sure to coach the agent responsible. While it's practically impossible that the database would have made that change, addressing the issue should have been done with facts of the most recent import if it was available.

Incidentally, thanks for being an active contributor here. Your experience and e-commerce expertise is no doubt valuable to other merchants here (and our staff) who can learn a lot from your positive feedback.

Comment

key differences between sheets, open office & excel

1) if a Google sheet is shared - it updates in real time to anyone who it has been shared with on any and all devices that have drive including smartphone - my wife and I keep a shared google doc named "shopping" that we update whenever we think we need something which will always be available in any store on either of our smartphones as an example

2) It is far more portable here's an example https://goo.gl/G4GVEN

3) if a Google doc sheet or any other google document for that matter is shared to a link that is "public on the web" it automatically ends up in Google's index - I'll let that sink in

4) you can use google docs to post to wordpress

Comment

key differences between sheets, open office & excel

1) if a Google sheet is shared - it updates in real time to anyone who it has been shared with on any and all devices that have drive including smartphone - my wife and I keep a shared google doc named "shopping" that we update whenever we think we need something which will always be available in any store on either of our smartphones as an example

2) It is far more portable here's an example https://goo.gl/G4GVEN

3) if a Google doc sheet or any other google document for that matter is shared to a link that is "public on the web" it automatically ends up in Google's index - I'll let that sink in

4) you can use google docs to post to wordpress

Comment

Hey windycityparrot, can Google Sheets read and write Excel/OpenOffice spreadsheets? Can it do the things Excel can do? I've used OpenOffice for years, but I'm willing to try something new if it's better. Even this ugly old dog is willing to learn new tricks if they're better. ;)

BTW, I agree with Alex - you are a valued asset to the forum.

Comment

We are Beta testers for financial instruments for PayPal - we are testers for a very large search engine and a Fortune 500 research firm (confidentiality agreements). We have more than 1/2 million followers on social media.

Our opinion is respected & valued by a lot of people

So when I sent a detailed list of major issues with the Redactor editor just days after its release along with screenshots of dozens of pages with morphing fonts and the inability to use the full screen - the lack of being able to directly link to categories products and pages among many many issues.

3dcarts response was something to the effect that "Redactor is latest and greatest which is why we chose " along with a link to the redactor site. Implying how can I possibly know anything about WYSIWYG editors I must be a moron?

If you look at the timeline - 13 days later Redactor was pulled from the system - that was 13 days (after my screaming siren) of allowing Redactor to destroy tens of thousands of pages of content for your merchants.

And one of the most insulting responses I've ever gotten from anyone in support ever.

So let me ask you 3dcart-Alex since you were a responder on that issue - how's Redactor working for you these days?

Which is why now spend $500 a month as a retainer to a 3-D cart developer to get my website fixed without an argument

Comment

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/excel-v...ts-one-better/

Comment

Working...
                              X