How to Use New Custom URL Feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Use New Custom URL Feature?

Couldn't find anything about it in the KB, or here in the forums. I tried to rename a category, and then update in the settings, but it's still the same URL as before.

Ideas?

There is a document on it:

https://www.onlinesupportweb.com/ind...loaditemid=125

But, you probably need to press the Update File Names button at the bottom of the Store Settings page...

Comment

I actually followed that knowledgebase article exactly and they still didn't work for me. The url changed correctly, but it took me to a page not found. I have a support ticket in.

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but...

Lets say i have a content page with the following 3dcart generated URL:
        http://www.3dcart.com/Workout-DVD_p_123567-12354.html

Using the custom file name feature, I rename the URL to be:
        http://www.3dcart.com/Exercise_DVD.html

Can I (or someone else) still use the original 3dcart generated URL? Or, is that gone and any reference to it now broken?

~fr_k

Comment

Originally posted by www.frik-n-frak.com View Post
          This may be a stupid question, but...

Lets say i have a content page with the following 3dcart generated URL:
          http://www.3dcart.com/Workout-DVD_p_123567-12354.html

Using the custom file name feature, I rename the URL to be:
          http://www.3dcart.com/Exercise_DVD.html

Can I (or someone else) still use the original 3dcart generated URL? Or, is that gone and any reference to it now broken?

~fr_k
          Jimmy fixed whatever was giving me the page not found.

As far as your question, I set one of my products to the custom url and it worked. I then went to the original url, and that still worked as well. Plus if you decide you don't want to use the custom url, you can take it out and it will go back to the original url. So, I am going to say that the original can still be used.

My question is, other than having a potentially shorter or easier to remember url, is there any other real benefits to using a custom url? Disadvantages?

Comment

Originally posted by thedancingdaisy View Post
            My question is, other than having a potentially shorter or easier to remember url, is there any other real benefits to using a custom url? Disadvantages?

I believe it has something to do with better SEO. But to me, 3dcart already generates good URLs without the custom URLs. Perhaps removing the numbers from the URL would make them even better for SEO purposes - that is if renaming it isn't necessary.

Comment

"Jimmy fixed whatever was giving me the page not found."

Wouldn't each cart be the same?
              Last edited by Mark; 01-17-2009, 09:06 AM.

Comment

There seem to be a lot of bugs still with the custom url feature, unless it is just me. I have it where sometimes the url doesn't actually work despite the fact that I have done everything right. I was told it is because the custom early has to be lowercase and with no spaces, but unless it was changed on my by support (and I don't think it was) this wasn't the case for either of the two that weren't working.
                Also, the next and prev feature don't work with products that have custom url because it takes them to the wrong url. (All of a sudden there is "." between teh last work in the url and html. I have a help ticket in for this.

Mark - Do you mean like everyone who is trying to use this feature? If so, I don't know. He just said it was fixed and it was so I don't know if it was just me, or everyone.

At anyrate, I currently turned his feature back off until the bugs are worked out.

Comment

Custom Url's

I also had the same problem with the custom url function. I put in a support ticket and it is now working properly.

Comment

Custom Url's

The 3dcart generated url's still show up. I have been in the process of changing the custom url's for some of my products. The new url shows up on the product page, however, under the best seller column if you click on the item it still shows the old 3dcart generated url.

Comment

I tried changing one of my categories and it did not change for me either.
                      Steve Teske
                      Director of eCommerce
                      Hogan Walker LLC
                      www.GreenFunStore.com
                      www.GreenPartStore.com
                      www.FarmFunStore.com
                      www.HoganWalker.com

Comment

Originally posted by deerefun View Post
                        I tried changing one of my categories and it did not change for me either.
                        You changed the url for your category and then went into store settings and checked the custom file's name box. Clicked Save. And then clicked update file names. And it didn't change your url?

Comment

Originally posted by thedancingdaisy View Post
                          You changed the url for your category and then went into store settings and checked the custom file's name box. Clicked Save. And then clicked update file names. And it didn't change your url?

It got worse. Orriginally I forgot to click save after I checked the custom files name box. Once I figured this out with your help and got it to change the category name now none of my menu links to the page work. Now I am really puzzled.
                          Thanks in advance for any insight here.
                          Steve Teske
                          Director of eCommerce
                          Hogan Walker LLC
                          www.GreenFunStore.com
                          www.GreenPartStore.com
                          www.FarmFunStore.com
                          www.HoganWalker.com

Comment

I can't help ya there, buddy!

Mine simply went back to the old URL. You don't need them, Steve, it's ok, walk away!!

(Deerefun is my main competitor)

Comment

Haha. You two must feel you're doing something right if your main competitors end up on the same shopping cart you are :)

Comment

Working...
                              X