Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secure Transaction Wording

I have a two part question.

The overall background for my question(s) is what are you doing to increase your customers' confidence in doing online transactions with you.

1. "Safe Site Certificates". There are a lot of validated certifcate programs (Buy Safe, Hacker Safe, Trust Guard, etc).
      • What are you using and why?
      • Where are you positioning it on your site (i.e., global footer)?
    2. Credit Card Information. As background, I use PayPal Pro for credit card processing and I'm concerned with their positioning of "not sharing financial information" for PayPal express. My concern is that in the checkout process, a customer will see PayPal express as an option with their verbage on not sharing financial information, so the customer should naturally assume that the other payment options (ie, Credit Cards) are doing something with their financial information. The truth is that credit card information is passed directly to PayPal, in my case, and only a small ammount (ie, last 4 digits of CC) are kept in our files. I've tried to remove the PP express copy, but it is integrated and PP express as an option can not be removed.
      • Am I reading too much into the PP Express wording?
      • Are you saying anything in checkout about what credit card information you see and store?
      • Any other tips/tricks you're using to create confidence with your customers on using their CC info?

Thanks much for your input!

How we do it:

Hey there,

We recently spent a huge amount of energy researching the best possible way to use confidence-building security badges and what not, here's some thing's we learned:

If you take a look at our site @ http://www.glowsource.com/ you'll see our Comodo HackerProof logo in the upper left. This has been proven to be one of the most effective spots because it is one of the first places your eye naturally goes, it's next to our header logo so it establishes a relationship between our brand and security. Just for good measure we've thrown in an SSL Cert verification in the lower right (it floats with the page) and our Authorize.net merchant verification just under our left menu.

Additionally, study after study has shown that when people see Visa/Mastercard etc. logos, they inevitably buy more. Why? Subliminal messaging, I guess, who knows. In this spirit we've put some attractive credit card icons near the top of our home page and have a global footer with more of the same.

I love having the accepted payment methods, office hours, physical address and contact info ALL in the global footer; it's a pretty common technique that I think grants every level of confidence you could ask for to the customer, should they choose to care. However, if you're going to shell out good money for a HackerProof or similar service (I hear McAffee has a good-performing one) I think you have to toss it somewhere near the top where you're going to get the most bang for your buck.

Like I said, we've spent countless hours researching/implementing all this nonsense so any frustration I can save someone else is something I'd like to do. :)

Good luck!

Comment

is there a 3dcart promotion for comodo?
      Is it less than hackersafe?

Comment

These hackersafe/proof/whatever seals are all quite expensive, unfortunately, but you do have some cool options. Comodo offers a 90-day free trial where I you don't pay anything until your conversions are up 5% (which, as you know, is substantial). You can sign up for that here: http://www.comodo.com/hackerproof/learn_more.html

As I recall we found the cost to be basically the same as other big contenders like McAfee, coming in at about $2300/year. Break that down and you get about $190/month. Seems like a lot, and it is, but if you're doing even $4000 worth of sales in a month, you're already going to make your money back with a 5% increase (and obviously the more you're doing, the more that increase is going to show).

They're willing to negotiate a bit, for instance we got a couple hundred dollars off for bundling the service with their EV SSL certificate etc. This was before we got on 3dCart, so I'm not sure if it's worth it granted 3dCart's default SSL, but who knows.

Good luck, I know we could all use a few more sales right about now!

Comment

Working...
        X