Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbnail Creation

Hello Everyone,

I posted this a day or so ago (I thought) and now I cannot find it. I guess I never submitted it to the board.

Anyway, what do you guys use to create thumbnails? Currently, I am using Easy Thumbnail, which works pretty good, but wih one flaw. I can tell it the maximum width and height and it will scale the image, but it will not allow me to scale it and then fill in to make the image square.

For instance, if I have an image that is 200 x 100 pixels and my max width and height is set to 100 pixels, it will scale the image to 100 x 50 pixels. The problem with that is when I have a lot of thumbnails on one page, they do not line themselves up in nice rows. See the attached image (my site is offline right now, so a link will not work). This is not as bad as some pages, but you can see that the rows do not line up because the thubnails vary in height.

Ideally, I want a program to create a thumbnail by scaling the image to 100 pixels wide and/or 100 pixels tall and then fill in the rest with white so everything lines up nicely.

The other option would be to chance the template such that the code centered everything regardless of size. I tried this and my coding knowledge is too limited.

Either option will work, what do you suggest?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    www.totaloutdoorsman.com - Your Total Choice for the Outdoors

I use the thumbnail creater built into 3DCart.

I made a file called Needsthumbnail.

I export my 'fullsize' images into that file. Selecte them all - create a thumbnail. - then move them to their final file destination.

Works like a charm and is done in a matter of seconds.
    C Ekman
    Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
    http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

Cool. Thanks for your reply. This may be a stupid question, but where can I find this build in functionality? BTW, I need about 7,000 thumbnails created.

Comment

Go to File Manager. When viewing the list of images in the file there is a BATCH ACTION at the bottom that you can apply to any selected image(s).

One of those actions is Resize (thumb) - this will create a second image - not resize the original - so when it's done you will end up with two images - large and thumbnail.

Also go to Settings -> General -> Store Settings - there you can define the size you want to use for your default thumbnail size.

Hope this helps
        C Ekman

Comment

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it did not work. It did re-size the image to a max of 100 x 100, but it did not make the image square.

I need to either make the image square (fill in "empty" areas with white to make a 100 x 100 pixel image) or adjust the template so that it will automatically line up the rows regardless of image size.

I tried to make the template do it by adjusting the table height, however, that did not seem to work. It seems like this could be possible, but I cannot figure it out.

Thanks!

Comment

I had the same issue. There is no way for this to work. The bulk resize or thumbnail will work only for square images. If your image is not square to begin with, only the horizontal parameters take effect. So, you end up with varied vertical image heights. Also, if you file manager to upload or make thumbnails, it will resize them. To avoid this, upload images via ftp.

Here's another topic: http://forums.3dcart.com/store-desig...age-sizes.html
            Last edited by Mark; 01-23-2009, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Fixed it. Not with the image, but with the template. I had to edit it, but finally figured it out. It centers everything now. See the following link:

See Category Page Here

This is actually the better way to do it. By adding white simply to make the image square is not efficient use of server space or bandwidth.

Comment

I'm really surprised the template didn't already have that in place. Seems logical. Is there a reason this isn;t the default? :confused:

What is the "fix" you used?

Comment

I just modified the template to use two rows in the product/category table so that I could center the picture and not affect the text position. The image is in the top row, text in the bottom row, so they move/center independently of each other now.

Comment

So I have been having another issue with thumbnails. If they are not created in RGB mode, they do not work. Some of mine were created in CMYK mode... I figured out if I use 3dcart's thumbnail creator, they are automatically converted to RGB, which is great. I do have a problem though. I have about 6500+ images that I need to resize. Easy Thumbnails did most of them just fine, but not all. Other than checking one by one, I have no way of knowing which ones are good or bad. I would like to create ALL of them with 3dcart's creator. However, I cannot select more than 50 items at a time within the file manager. How can I work around this? I really don't want to repeat this 50/time process 130+ times.

Thanks!

Comment

Do you have Adobe Photoshop? It has the ability to update multiple images at once, would that work?
                      C Ekman

Comment

I do, but it is an older version. Unfortunately it will not do batch resizing. I downloaded the demo for the newer version and it will re-size, but only in one direction. Some of my images are taller than they are wide and others are wider than they are tall. I need them all to fit within the 100 x 100 pixel envelope. 3dcart's does a great job, I just cannot do batches over 50...

Comment

Originally posted by cekman View Post
                          Do you have Adobe Photoshop? It has the ability to update multiple images at once, would that work?
                          I use adobe for resize the image by quality. I don't think they have command for multiple images at once. I use manually like open the pictures.

If you think your picture is big, you can right-click to resize the width / length of picture by pixels, don't forget to checked : "Constrain Proportions" and just change one of box (width or length) to be 250 pixels or 350 or your standard image size.

If you think your picture is ok, and you just need resize by quality not by the picture size:
                          Open the picture that you want crunch, and press: CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+F.
                          And will appear "Save for web" with 2-4 windows, in here you can see which quality that match for you? on right hand side, you will see drop down for quality by "low, medium, high, maximum" and the number. So, medium or around 50 is good for the products usually. It depends what picture that you have? If you want details, I suggest you can zoom in, and make another pic, than you force the picture the shrink, but people can't see the details.

For examples: If I have a corset picture, and I want to show people, make sure customer can see either we use "Hook 'n' eye" of "Zipper" at front..? Pattern on fabric is good if you use medium-high .

Ok, I hope it helps, sorry for my english. That's not my first language :o

Comment

Thanks for the information. Unforunately, my version of PhotoShop is an older one that does not support this. I found a program similar to easy thumbnail creator that will work that isn't too expensive, but I am trying not to buy anymore software, particularly since 3dcart is capable of doing what I want if I can figure out how to select more than 50 images at once.

Comment

Working...
                            X