Redeeming Rewards Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redeeming Rewards Points

We've been using the Rewards program for about a month. Several customers have enough points to order freebees. No one has inquired or redeemed anything yet. Do we have to do anything to "activate" the rewards that are earned? I think a seperate email goes out about rewards points balance, correct? :confused:
    Also, do the rewards disappear if an order is cancelled?
    Thanks

Did you give your customers instructions on how to redeem the points? I made a separate REWARDS page available from my header.

I haven't had any customers use their reward points either - but I did a test to buy something with rewards and it worked when I tried it.

I'm almost certain I remember testing the Cancellation of an order and reward points were taken away. but you may want to test that anyway.
    C Ekman
    Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
    http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

Wow,

Still no one taking advantage of rewards! :confused:
      Is there any way to see what rewards have been rewarded???
      We need some kind of report to see who has what?

cekman: we have a page describing the rewards and we also put a link to that page in the rewards notification email! :-)
      Last edited by Mark; 02-25-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it - I just had my first one yesterday. Just remind them of the rewards every once in a while in a newsletter or something.

I tried a special one day - Double Reward points for anything purchased that day. Don't think I had a single sale that day - so it's not a HUGE draw - but I think it DOES help.

I also try to add new products to the rewards page every once in a while.
        C Ekman
        Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
        http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

I would think they would have a report on the rewards.
          It's necessary to keep track of since it;s an accounts payable kinda thing.....

Comment

Anyway to see the rewards points folks have?
            I would guesstimate we have awarded hundreds of points over the months and only 1 customer has redeemed them. We really need a report to show how many outstanding points are out there. And, a way to expire them, if necessary....:confused:

Comment

We are going to remove the rewards program because there is no admin tool for it. :(
              It is just not good business model to extend credit indefinately.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                We are going to remove the rewards program because there is no admin tool for it. :(
                It is just not good business model to extend credit indefinately.
                I agree, why offer such a module when you can't administer it??? Pointless :rolleyes:
                (¯`v´¯)
                `*.¸.*´

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
                (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
                * P£†®ª *

Shadow Trailers
                www.TrailerandTruckParts.com
                www.Trailer-Wheels.com
                www.iTrailerParts.com

Comment

My customers love the reward program. While it is frustrating not to be able to see who has what, the prospect that a customer will return to buy more products offsets that. I look at it as a hook to keep customers coming back. There really is no admin to it, other than processing the orders.

My biggest complaint is that there is no way to sort of categorize the products that are in the rewards program. We have over 700 products and we allow all of them in the rewards program and when one views the products it's just one long unorganized messy list.

What would be great to have is a category where we can add products to sub categories and set it up much the same way our regular retail products are organized.

A second drawback is that a customer can't buy a "paid" product and a reward product in the same order. We offer free shipping to certain customer levels and sending out a free product AND having to foot the bill for shipping is getting expensive.

The rewards program is a great feature, but doesn't appear to be we'll thought out prior to launch. We definitely need an admin module of some sort of admin for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    We've been using the Rewards program for about a month. Several customers have enough points to order freebees. No one has inquired or redeemed anything yet. Do we have to do anything to "activate" the rewards that are earned? I think a seperate email goes out about rewards points balance, correct? :confused:
                    Also, do the rewards disappear if an order is cancelled?
                    Thanks
                    I find that my customers love the rewards program. When I first enabled it, I was getting a ton of questions about it even after I posted information about it under "Announcements". I created another blog called "Rewards Point Program" which appears right at the top of the menu and that seems to have helped.

All of my products are in the program with 1 point awarded for each dollar spent. The number of points awarded is listed right next to the product. You can customize how many reward points will be required to "buy" a rewards certificate. I have $5.00, $10.00, $15.00 and $20.00. The customer can view how many points they've earned at any time by viewing their account. When a customer has enough points to cash them in for a rewards certificate, they can redeem their points from within their account. This appears as a new sale on our end with a zero total dollar value. The customer gets an E-mail with an automatically generated code that they use at check out with instructions as to how to use it. You can customize this E-mail. When a customer redeems the rewards certificate, they type in the automatically generated code in the "Apply coupon" box at check out.

When a customer "buys" a rewards certificate, I place that order under "In Process" category until they are redeemed as a way of knowing how many rewards certificates are out there. I chose to put it there since I don't use "In Process" for anything else. You can use a custom category instead. I created another custom category called "Rewards Redemptions" and when a customer actually uses a rewards certificate, I move that certificate from the "In Process" category to the "Rewards Redemptions" category. There aren't that many of them so it's easy to see how many certificates are outstanding and how many have been used.

While it would be nice to have some sort of a report, for me, it's easy to know how many points are out there because it will be the same as sales. The points are subtracted when the customer redeems the points for a certificate and the points are also subtracted if an order is cancelled.

Prior to implementing the rewards program, I didn't require customers to register before buying. However, I quickly learned that if you're going to use a rewards program, you really do need to require the customer to register before being able to place an order. Otherwise, you end up with orders that are not attached to any particular account and therefore no rewards points being posted. Then you get an E-mail from the customer asking where there rewards points are! :)

Comment

Rewards and Shipping

I have a big problem with the rewards program. My customers love it - I love the idea, however, whenever a customer redeems points the cart NEVER charges shipping on those items and a customer can only add a single product to the cart. For example: If a customer redeems 200 points on 3 different items, it creates 3 separate orders. No biggie, I can just combine them whe I ship the rewards products out.

Big problem is the cart doesn't charge shipping on any rewards redemption and that is a huge financial loss to us when that customer lives in another country.

I have the cart set to allow free shipping ONLY to US residents, if an order is for more than $35. PLEASE tell me how to make the cart charge shipping for the rewards redemption orders. My customers love this feature and it is primarily why I chose 3d cart. However, this is now something that I can't just stop because I have a lot of customers using it - But this is killing me financially on shipping costs.

Kat

Comment

At this time you can not have an order that is partially paid by points, partially paid by credit card (or paypal, etc).

What you may want to do is instead of offering the items, offer a $5.00 gift certificate (or 10,20,50, etc), and so they can use it to then purchase whatever they want on the store, and go through checkout like they would normally do. (Because you can have an order composed of gift certifiates + credit cards/paypal/etc)

The idea of letting customer buy items with points was more for branded items, ie, buy a shirt with www.yorucompany.com, or a mug, etc, which you would figure in the shipping costs when figuring out the # of points to charge for it, I can definitely see an issue with out of the country sales still, so i think in your case, since you have a large # of out of the country visitors, using the gift certificate is the best approach.
                        ----------------------------
                        Gonzalo Gil
                        3dCart Support
                        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Working...
                        X