Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Example of a great store

http://shoeguru.ca

This company doesn't use a shopping cart, but their design is fantastic.

One thing that you will see.

Great Product Images Are KEY!

Too many times, we see stores that have bad, blurry, or woeful product images and it can make the best design look amateurish.

Invest the time it takes to create sharp, crisp, product images, and it will be paid off with more sales.

You're right - great design.
    Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I agree, the website is simple yet the images are incredibly eye catching!

Their advantage though is they have few products, and probably invested a good amount of money to create this site...

Great site indeed

A
      Andres

Comment

actually, I will go against the grain on this one.
        It is difficult to choose options, sizes or whatever. It's so small and limited.
        It is difficult to find detail info on the products, the payment or checkout portion is hosted offsite, and, is deemed "insecure" according to my browser, and the "links" to the detail photo angles of the product don't necesarily take you to that image perspective.
        Granted, the images are immaculate and striking, but, there is little more.
        sorry, just my take on it.
        Last edited by Mark; 02-27-2009, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I'm going with Mark on this one... I've seen ShoeGuru on several lists (on blogs and smashing magazine, etc.) of "sweet e-commerce web designs" but was always less impressed with it than many of the others. As a design experiment it is very interesting and unique, but I highly HIGHLY doubt that translates to more sales, in this case. Granted, the target demo is probably 18-25 males, which would appreciate the ascetic value more... but still.

If you want some REALLY good websites just do a quick google search for "best ecommerce websites" or "layouts" or something like that, you'll find that plenty of bloggers have compiled their favorites and there's a lot to be learned there.

Comment

I definitely see your points (Mark and Glowsource) - The design of the ShoeGuru site wouldn't work for most retailers (nor their customers) - but I agree with Rob - the photography is amazing! I felt like I could grab the shoe right off my monitor. It's like the difference between HD and regular TV.

When designing or redesigning our sites, I check out the ecommerce sites listed in the Internet Retailer Top 500 for ideas - many of whom have invested a lot in researching best ecommerce design practices. I'm in the middle of a redesign now and have relied heavily on these sites for ideas.

By the way - Internet Retailer magazine (free subscription) is a must have for anyone selling on the web.
            Last edited by ScribeTime; 02-27-2009, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Oh, I agree, the photo images are immaculate! :)
              Schweet.

Comment

Scribetime, thanks for the tip on IR magazine. I'm now subscribed! BTW...I've been lurking in the forum for a while and am looking to get more active. Thanks for all the great advice! - David

Comment

Originally posted by domnisch View Post
                  Scribetime, thanks for the tip on IR magazine. I'm now subscribed! BTW...I've been lurking in the forum for a while and am looking to get more active. Thanks for all the great advice! - David

No problem. I look forward to every issue as they do a great job not only providing valuable insight into the world of ecommerce for both the large and small retailers - but they also provide great case studies on everything from search marketing to designing ecommerce sites (based on data gathered from many of the top 500 internet retailers.)

Comment

Working...
                  X