Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to choose a different frame template file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to choose a different frame template file?

Anyone know how to use the custom frame templates?

Nevermind, I figured it out. The frame file needs to be in your current layout folder and named "frame_x" I was missing the underscore
    Last edited by Mark; 08-16-2009, 05:35 PM.

I'll continue this discussion just a bit...

So I figured out that you do indeed need to name your frame files correctly, and yes, I'm getting them to show up as an option on pages, EXCEPT for the home page. Anyone know how I can select a different frame for the home page?

Thanks!

Mike
    www.KarensCookies.net
    Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

Can you elaborate?

What are you doing to make the different frames swap out? IOW how do you make frame_1.html the current frame?

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

• Settings -> Design -> Site Content
        • Choose a page and click on "content" for that page
        • There's a drop down by "Frame Template:" where you can select a different one.

Note: this does not work for the home page unfortunately
        www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

I may have already asked this, but, I forgot the reason, if I did. :cool:

Can you copy frame.html to frame_1.html and then edit frame.html for home page and then use frame_1.html for ALL other pages?

Comment

Originally posted by maksum View Post
            • Settings -> Design -> Site Content
            • Choose a page and click on "content" for that page
            • There's a drop down by "Frame Template:" where you can select a different one.

Note: this does not work for the home page unfortunately
            In reading this thread I wanted to check this out. When I go to Settings -> Design -> Site Content and choose content on a page I only have "default frame Template" as an option. How do I see or use other frame templates?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I may have already asked this, but, I forgot the reason, if I did. :cool:

Can you copy frame.html to frame_1.html and then edit frame.html for home page and then use frame_1.html for ALL other pages?
              Yes... however, there are several sections of your site that don't allow you to choose a frame file besides the default. So essentially what you're doing is selecting a unique frame for your content pages (besides home.) Home, your category pages, you product listing pages, your cart page, your search results, etc. etc. will all have the original frame.html

make sense?
              www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

You need to create new frame files and ftp to the common folder. The file name syntax is frame_X.html
                HTH :)

Comment

Originally posted by Shopabit View Post
                  In reading this thread I wanted to check this out. When I go to Settings -> Design -> Site Content and choose content on a page I only have "default frame Template" as an option. How do I see or use other frame templates?
                  Shopabit, do you use FTP to manage your files? If so, you need to create a new frame file, and you must name it frame_1.html (frame_2.html, frame_3.html etc) and upload it into your template folder. If you name it as such it will then appear in the drop-down. If you name it MyCoolFrame.html is simply will not show in there.
                  www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

You need to create new frame files and ftp to the common folder. The file name syntax is frame_X.html
                    HTH :)
                    You beat me by 1 minute! ;)
                    www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Thanks guys,

Comment

editing the fame styles

OK so now I know how to add a frame style. Now... Is there a program to see how the frame styles look like a WYSIWYG editor?

Comment

Question for Support

Or perhaps the other way around? Let Frame be the "global" template and honor the settings for the Home page template set in Site Content? Having a different layout for the home page is often desirable.

SUPPORT: Is there a specific reason why the Home page uses frame.html regardless of what template we have selected?

Comment

Originally posted by StuTheDog View Post
                            Or perhaps the other way around? Let Frame be the "global" template and honor the settings for the Home page template set in Site Content? Having a different layout for the home page is often desirable.

SUPPORT: Is there a specific reason why the Home page uses frame.html regardless of what template we have selected?
                            Yes, this is desirable, and something I want to implement myself. I've been down this road, talked to support, etc. It just isn't doable right now. I hope they make it so.

Basically, having a "home" in the Site Content section is kind of confusing. It leads you to believe you can actually change the frame, and edit the content area from admin. But at the end of the day you can't. You can even just delete the page from Site Content... makes no difference. The home page is still there. That's what I did and I just edit the home.html file.

I recommended this be added here:
                            http://forums.3dcart.com/new-feature...home-page.html

And GonzaloGil responded saying they planned to make it so we could change the frame for every page, and I assume that would include the home page.
                            www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Originally posted by maksum View Post
                              And GonzaloGil responded saying they planned to make it so we could change the frame for every page, and I assume that would include the home page.
                              Nice! In ASP.NET we have the concept of Master Pages that can be determined by each individual page plus can be swapped out programmatically by the server side code. Really nice for example if the user is visually impaired and you need a different layout that can't be accomplished by CSS.

Comment

Working...
                              X