Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to choose a different frame template file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oklahuma
    replied
    Patience of a Saint

I too needed a different frame for the home page, and again was told 'it cannot be done'. It is always a compromise to work with this software.

Leave a comment:

• InsnWizard
    replied
    I used 3 different templates to create my site. I used pieces until it looked the way I wanted it to. Fully customizable probably not but if work with the pieces you have available you can change almost anything.

I move code from other pages to other pages all the time when I'm tweaking the site.

Leave a comment:

• elightbox
    replied
    I should be able to build a fully customized index/default/frame or whatever.html file that lets me use ANY of the tags I need.
    Why should you? It is not a bug, but a design feature. It was not offered when you signed up for the cart, so you should not expect it. If you want a fully customizable shopping cart then maybe 3d is not for you.

Leave a comment:

• chillware
    replied
    your missing the point.. the point is you can't use most tags on any html page, only tags meant for the frame.html work in frame.html and not home.html and vice versa. this is extremely limiting when you are trying to build a custom layout as I am that DOES NOT use left or right columns. I have no way to put newest products in to home.html because the tags do not work there.

I should be able to build a fully customized index/default/frame or whatever.html file that lets me use ANY of the tags I need.

Leave a comment:

• elightbox
    replied
    Solution. How to:

This is not hard to do and is built into 3dcart
    Go to Settings >Design > Titles and Content >Home page
    click: hide left column and hide right column

so basically when you do that you have a blank page, except for the web site header and footer.

Now you need to build your content.
    If you want anything in the <head> section of the home page, put it in the Header section of the page above. Include <head> and </head> .

The html for the home page goes in
    Settings >Design > Template Editor > home.html

After you make any changes to the templates, go to "Store Language" and click save to apply it to the web site, or you will not see some of your changes. Some changes require you to completely close the browser and open a new session. The latter is more common when you change Java Scripts.

Leave a comment:

• chillware
    replied
    I just got done complaining about this issue myself! It' stupid!! 3Dcart needs to fix this!

See my thread:
    http://forums.3dcart.com/general-con...sible-arg.html

Leave a comment:

• chocolatefiend
    replied
    We need to keep this thread alive.

I need a different frame for home.html, a different frame for search_group.html and a different frame for listing_0.html.

Site Content doesn't have any links to search_group or listing_0.

Anyone figure out how to do this?

Leave a comment:

• sock2me
    replied
    Hard to believe!

I'm finding this issue to be extremely confusing and disappointing. I can't believe they make this so difficult. Why even bother offering a custom template assignment if it doesn't even work that way!

I eventually had to hard code a page called default.html and ftp it onto the server - of course none of the short codes calling in a Home Special, or Meta or Title work!

ABSURD!

You should be able to assign any page a custom frame.html - !!!!

Leave a comment:

• Go Live
    replied
    That's to bad, and alot of extra work.

It's always something with these computers and the like.

I'm more interested with the listing and then the category page as these are the most popular landing pages. (make it or break it)

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• mimib
    replied
    Originally posted by Go Live View Post
    OK just checked and it seems that you should be able to select a frame template in Site Content, home, options.
    Nope -- doesn't work. :( While it's true that you can select a different frame template for the home page, it will not be used.

It would appear that the only option is to edit the default frame.html file (this will be used for home, category, and item listing pages) and then create alternate frame pages (frame_1.html, frame_2.html, etc.) which you can apply to your other CONTENT pages.

--mimib

Leave a comment:

• kcummins
    replied
    I just gave up after getting all those lumps on my forehead from banging it against the keyboard in frustration. Tried so many different things, but never could get a unique home page without having to hard code too many things.

This would be such a useful feature to have, but 3d Cart seems is one of the few carts that makes this very difficult. Of course, you can pay one of their in-house designers to do this for you, but no one is sharing how this is done.

Hopefully this will be a feature that will be implemented soon.

Leave a comment:

• Go Live
    replied
    OK just checked and it seems that you should be able to select a frame template in Site Content, home, options.

Leave a comment:

• Go Live
    replied
    Originally posted by kcummins View Post
    I've noticed that the option of having a different frame for the home page is a topic that has come up several times over the past year or so. Any word on when this will be implemented? This thread is a year old so I'm guessing this isn't a top priority, but having a different frame option on the home page would be a very big plus.

I've also added it to the Feature Request so I'm hoping it gets more notice.

Karey
    Karey, You probably tried this already. Is it not possible to add an index.html page to get your special home page.

Leave a comment:

• Go Live
    replied
    Are there any plans to be able to use a different frame on the category options?

Seems meanwhile would need to recreate the right column put on listing template and select a different listing template. And disable right column on listing templates.

Bottom line am looking to advertise category specific in the right column.

May try to use Var or call ad that matches page title else default.

Just hate to develop something just to have it released in next update.

What have others done. Any ideas?

Speaking of updates did Gonzalo get the recently viewed items to work for the next update. I don't mind lending a hand if need be.

Leave a comment:

• mimib
    replied
    Arghh! I spent about a half hour refreshing, clearing my cache, deleting browsing history, renaming frame files, etc. in an attempt to get my revised frame_01.html file to work on my home page.

Thank heaven for this user group or I'd never know when something is my fault or faulty by design!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X