Site review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site review

OK, so we've been in business for 10 years, and things have never been worse. I know there is an industry wide slow down, but I just want to make certain that our website is as friendly as possible to at least eliminate that as an issue.

If anyone wants to take a look and provide constructive criticism, it would be greatly appreciated:

http://www.veilshop.com

Thanks!

BW

Great looking site!
    Your videos add tremendous value.
    It's just an incrediably bad year for sales! Tough Times.
    There are only two things i would change on your site. Eliminate the PayPal logo and center the logos at the bottom of the footer.
    Happy Sales! :)
    www.concession-supply.com

Comment

Thanks for the input--will do. Can I ask why you would eliminate the PayPal logo? We don't accept PayPal, but they bought Verisign (who used to be our gateway). Is there a negative association with PayPal?

Comment

The logo is not linked to the PayPal verification site. If you accept credit cards through a normal gateway, and you are not using PayPal, I wouldn't use the logo. PayPal-only customers would think you accept PayPal.

Comment

Another thing to try is to try the single-page checkout for a few weeks. See if sales improve.

Comment

Are you using Google Base?

I couldn't find you on the first few pages of Google Shopping. We get about 1/5 sales from Google Shopping.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...=next&start=30

Comment

Got--thank you! I removed it since we do not accept PayPal--you are right, it could be confusing.

We did have the single page checkout activated, but when sales started going down we went back to the multi-step per a recent thread that indicated single page might not be best.

We are working on adding more Google feeds--we only have 124 active products right now. Problem is, our market is extremely saturated. Will get in gear and add more today! :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to look and offer suggestions--I really do appreciate it! Spent a lot of time and energy over the years to get where we are and it feels like it's just falling apart so quickly.

Comment

Are you using Marketing>Shopping Engines>Google Base / Froogal ?
                It looks you have hundreds of prodcuts. Maybe they are just different options that add up.....
                We get about 1/5 of sales from Google Base
                Do you have a facebook "business" page? We get a few sales from facebook. And, we auto feed our facebook entries to Twitter page. We don't have many followers, but, it does help with exposure slightly. Also, ask for back links from your suppliers web site. Get listed in DMOZ, if not already. And, you could even create your OWN directory, like we did. http://www.megdirectory.com We have complete control over who is listed and allow others to submitt. :cool:
                Last edited by concession-supply.com; 11-14-2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing it was my thread you're referring to on the single page / multi-page question. I hope to have some hard data soon, but it hasn't been long enough. I'll tell you right now is that I really don't feel that I'm LOSING any sales at all with multi-page. My hunch is that it will lean toward multi-page, but thus far it doesn't seem to have made a HUGE impact. I do think I actually prefer it myself (multi).

Ok, onto my feedback. Videos are GREAT! Keep up the great work with those, try to further utilize those that you have, etc..

Top blue nav bar: I would definitely change the roll-over color. That's a bad combo and is difficult to read.

Bottom nav: I'd keep each multi-word link together on one line and go ahead and make two lines of links.

Left Nav: I really do not like changing font sizes on roll-overs if it's going to make the rest of your nav jump around. I think most would agree this goes beyond my personal preference. I'd also bold those, increase the font size a bit and add some spacing between them. Fill that space a bit more and make it more viewable.

Make your logo a link to your home page. This is a web site standard. People like and expect having an easy way to get home.

I would keep your links blue, but make your general text black or a significantly darker blue. I think it would make it more readable, and it's nice to have your links stand out a bit more.

How big of a pain would it be to throw all of your veils and jewelry etc. on models and shoot some pictures for alternate photos? I think it would pay off. People love to see products in use. Seems if you could dress up a single model, do her hair up nice, throw her in a wedding gown, get your lighting all set up and just line up all of your products and shoot them all it shouldn't be longer than a day's worth of work. With Veils, you don't even have to make her up very pretty :) since you're shooting the back of her head.

For a good example, look at your own children's products. Those are great examples.

Not sure you need to get into your garters this way :) unless you want to in which case I'll be happy to carefully review your photos and provide my feedback (jk... :D sorta)

Just a thought.

Speaking of photos, get some stock photos of beautiful happy brides and put some on your site. This will be a quick and cheap way to improve your site significantly. People like to see photos of happy people, and in your case, happy beautiful brides (dreamstime.com istockphoto.com)

Your "Happy Brides" photos in your testimonials are great, but some stock photos on the home page would be wonderful.

oh yeah, and froogle/google base is a DEFINITE item on your to-do list. We see a lot of sales from that.

Your FAQ right on your contact page is a great idea.

Ok, just my initial thoughts.

Good Luck!

Mike
                  www.KarensCookies.net
                  Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

"Bottom nav: I'd keep each multi-word link together on one line and go ahead and make two lines of links."

How do you do this? We have this issue too, and it tries to squeeze all the links in and doesn't look right.

Comment

Originally posted by concession-supply.com View Post
                      How do you do this? We have this issue too, and it tries to squeeze all the links in and doesn't look right
                      A couple of ways to do it:

method one:
                      Code:
                      <NOBR><A HREF="#">My Link</A></NOBR>
                      method two:
                      Code:
                      <A HREF="#">My&nbsp;Link</A>
                      That help?

Mike
                      www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Thanks so much for the GREAT feedback! I've changed many of the items that you noted--let me know what you think about the font changes.

"How big of a pain would it be to throw all of your veils and jewelry etc. on models and shoot some pictures for alternate photos? I think it would pay off. People love to see products in use. Seems if you could dress up a single model, do her hair up nice, throw her in a wedding gown, get your lighting all set up and just line up all of your products and shoot them all it shouldn't be longer than a day's worth of work. With Veils, you don't even have to make her up very pretty :) since you're shooting the back of her head."

It is a HUGE pain! We photographed several hundred of the veils (there are 90,000 possible combination!) and the time that it takes is huge--not to mention the expense of the model. Our suppliers aren't even doing model catalogs for this year--products only. Wish I had more time to do the photoshoots, but unfortunately, can't do it right now.

"oh yeah, and froogle/google base is a DEFINITE item on your to-do list. We see a lot of sales from that."

Exactly what is Froogle? I do have database feeds submitted to Google--just uploaded about 300 more product tonight, but I'm not sure how/if they work together? I'm just logging into Google and submitting the spreadsheets. Is there a better way that I'm missing?

Thanks again--can't tell you how much I appreciate the time and comments from everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by maksum View Post
                          A couple of ways to do it:

method one:
                          Code:
                          <NOBR><A HREF="#">My Link</A></NOBR>
                          method two:
                          Code:
                          <A HREF="#">My&nbsp;Link</A>

Where do you insert these lines?

Comment

Originally posted by rrw View Post
                            Where do you insert these lines?
                            In your frame.html file. If you have it set up so these are automated (so you edit them in admin) then you'll want to use the < NOBR > method. Place them before and after the tag that calls in the link.
                            www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

In the marketing>shopping engines>Google section you can generate the feed. ALL your products are included. Just save the file and upload manually to Google.

Comment

Working...
                              X