Website review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website review

I look at all the websites posted here and I am almost ashamed to put mine up. We are 2 amateurs with no website design experience. trying to figure this out. I am trying for a feminine boutique look which is different from most sites on here. We are currently changing things around so everything is not exactly in order. Should I just hire someone or can a amateur figure it out?

www.bowsbowsbows.com

Thanks.

I think it looks pretty darn good! Way better than my first attempt. I did notice a type (misspelling "galery" on the photo gallery page. Nice job!

Comment

You know, for being new at this you have absolutely no reason to be ashamed (or even almost ashamed :) ). It's looking good. Navigation is clear and easy, and if I want to see the details of an item, contact you, get back home, etc. it's all clear and I know what to do.

Here are some items I would consider:
      • Until you actually have links, ditch the "links" page. No reason to have it there without content.
      • Your copyright is difficult to read in white print while on that background. Change the color to something that's more legible.
      • Your color charts are very useful I'm sure. I would change the grid a bit so it takes advantage of the horizontal space you have available and make it so the users don't have to scroll so much. (instead of 4 columns maybe 6 or 7)
      • I'm just not sure about this... on your "build-a-bow" products why do they have to type in the color of the headband when they get more concrete drop-downs with the other options? If it's because it's optional, I'd just make the title of the drop down and first item "Headband Color (Optional)". There very well could be a good reason you did this.

Now just a couple of opinions:

I would get a more solid logo and header. Your products are VERY cute, colorful and apparently very well made. It seems you have no problem appearing professional when looking at your bows. I would match that with a more solid branding. The embossed and drop-shadow on the font that makes up your "Bows Bows Bows" on the large white field just feels thrown together. The bow flowers seem like they'd be fine, if they weren't treated the same way... simple drop shadows on a large white field. There's no right way to address it, but I would definitely consider doing something. At the very least put a line under the bottoms of the flowers so they don't just suddenly go to all white. The color scheme is fine and appropriate for your product line. I think that header just needs to be worked over a bit.

Just some thoughts. Best of luck and once again, VERY cute products.

Mike
      www.KarensCookies.net
      Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

Thanks for the responses and advice. I should say that we have no other experiance except this site. This is our second try with this site. I paid someone for the original design which was not good at all. We then changed the colors and made it better but it still was not 'boutiquey'. We are now on our 2nd try but the sites third go round.

I am at present working on new color charts that make better use of the space. I am not happy with the way they are now either.

We have been going around and around with the background and logo/header design. At present is the most simple. We will continue to play with it. Any more suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for pointing out the build-a-bow headband selection. That was done for expediance a while back and we forgot to change it to the drop down menu.

Thanks for the encouragement.
        Winston

Comment

You know what... I'd say get your product right up there in the header. No reason to make people scroll to get a taste of your offerings. Seriously, you need people's eyes to pop the second your page loads up and make them think "How cute! I'm going to look around see what they have!".

Also, I just don't really like the way the white flows from the header into the left nav, and into the content area. I'd say break it up a bit and make it more of a solid distinction. Again, this is just my opinion.

You know, if you put one of your bows up in the header you could even swap it out for season-specific bows... back-to-school, Christmas, etc. depending on the year.

Another thought I had from your comments... you want it to look 'boutiquey'. I've been to enough craft fairs to know that fun, bold, colorful vinyl words, quotes, scriptures, and kids' names are slapped all over the place. Perhaps to accomplish this feel you can be a bit more whimsical and bold with your words... maybe even use a different font for each instance of "Bows". I don't know... just an idea.

Here's just a quick mock-up to show my thoughts. Not to suggest that this is a direction you should go in, just to illustrate my points.

http://forums.3dcart.com/attachment....1&d=1266295739

just my 2 cents

Mike
          Attached Files
          www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Mike you are so nice to take the time to help to all of us--that mock up looks great!

Comment

Mike,

Definitely thank you for your time. I do like the bow in the header. I also like the organic lines. I am not the one who does the graphics, so I will have to see what we can do with the ideas. We have not both been completely satisfied with a header design.

Winston

Comment

Originally posted by rrw View Post
                Mike you are so nice to take the time to help to all of us--that mock up looks great!
                no prob. It's no biggie. I'm just a bit more fluent with photoshop than english :) Instead of picking the right words to express what I'm thinking it's sometimes easier to just whip up an example.

btw, Winston, if you want the photoshop file I'm happy to pass it on.

Mike
                www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Working...
                X