mcommerce icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcommerce icon

Ok, I have setup my mcommerce stuff by following the knowledgebase instructions. My question is, is there a way to add something so that when this site is bookmarked it will show as a "nice" looking icon? Kind of like what
    3dcart did when I bookmarked thier 3dcartmobile admin panel.

Goal: I would like to tell people that we have a mobile site, but would like when they bookmarked it to have a professional looking icon on thier homescreen.

Thanks

Sean

If you are refering to the image that shows up next to the address bar and next to the bookmark/favorite, that is called a favicon.

Put this in the "head" of your document, in the frame.html file.
    Code:
    <link href="/favicon.png" rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" />
    I believe the icon can be a .png, .jpg, or .ico file. There are specific dimensions though. You can use the following link to generate one.
    http://www.favicon.cc/

I think the correct size is 16x16 pixels.

The favicon goes in the root of your site, where all the .asp files are. Once you put the file in there and update your code, go to Settings -> General -> Store Settings. All the way down at the bottom, click to clear your cache. This will update all of your templates.

Comment

cannen,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I'm talking about on the iphone,itouch, or ipad. When you set a page as a bookmark you get a icon that is placed on your screen. Can that be customized? When I did this same method for
      "3dcarts Admin Bookmark" they had a professional looking icon.
      I followed this knowledgebase link: https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...barticleid=418

Comment

If I was to guess, it would be /mobile/images/mobile-logo.png

That's just a guess though. You might want to make a backup copy of that image, replace it with one of yours of the same type, size, and name. Then clear your site cache and see if that works. Otherwise, you may have to contact support.

That's my best guess anyway.

Comment

cannen,
          thanks for the info, unfortunately that didn't work. I have done some research and what it is called is a "Webclip." What would need to happen is to upload a 57X57 .png file named apple-touch-icon.png to the root folder.
          I tried to do this, but according to support the file would need to be placed in the /web/mobile folder and not the main root folder. At this time we do not have access to this folder. They said if they get enough requests that this might change in the future.

Here is a link to more info: http://vjarmy.com/archives/2008/01/h...clip_icons.php

Comment

The mobile template has it pre-defined to look for an image in

[DOMAIN]/mobile/images/icon.png

The image used on the admin side is:

[DOMAIN]/mobile/admin/images/icon.png
            If you want to use that as a template.

If the image can't be found then it uses a screenshot of your site.
            ----------------------------
            Gonzalo Gil
            3dCart Support
            800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Gonzalo,
              Thanks for your reply. I have tried to place a 57x57 .png file into my web/mobile/images and named it icon.png and tried apple-touch-icon.png and niether worked. I did clear my cache also. I tried to go to web/mobile/admin and access was denied. Am I doning something wrong? Sorry but I'm not that "techy." Can you possible give a more detailed work around.

Sean
              Last edited by Sean; 08-11-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I went to your mobile store, added it as a bookmark and it took your image, so this is working, but yes, if you had tried it before you put the image, your phone may have it cached. I can confirm that it works as i tested on 2 phones here.

All that is needed is the icon.png on the folder specified, no need to do the apple-touch-icon.png, not sure if the apple-touch-icon.png would do something else for you or not, but if you want the icon to show like the admin one does, then creating the icon.png is the way to go.
                ----------------------------
                Gonzalo Gil
                3dCart Support
                800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Gonzalo,

Got it to work! Thanks for your help.
                  Last edited by Sean; 08-11-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X