file management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file management

I'm in the process of setting up my site and want to start of the right way with file management.

What is the best way to set them up? Thanks.

What do you mean by the best way to set them up?

3d already has the basic structure to get your site rolling.

If you're just selling product then you'll have images and maybe some .pdf's.

If you're selling downloads then you're going to have files that people are going to be downloading.

As an example, say you have manuals for your products and they are .pdf's.
    Maybe assets/manuals/productid.pdf .

Step back and think how "logically" things should be organized and stick with it.

The best system of organization is one that you understand and can stick with.

Of course, that all goes out the window if you pass the development onto someone else at some point because they may have problems using yours.

I'd be willing to bet that if you ask 10 developers how they organize things you'll get 10 different answers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering what most people do to organize their files. If it's best to separate your products from logo images etc.

Comment

we have different folders for the different manufacturers. Also, we have folders labeled pdfs, manuals, default, etc
        It is very handy in being able to dynamically link to these items.
        For example, for procuct spec sheets, we can dynamically create a hyper link thusly: /assets/images/pdfs/[id].pdf
        or a link to a manufacturer's product manual: /assets/images/[manufacturer-name]/[id].man, and stuff like that. :)
        www.concession-supply.com

Comment

As a side-note for images. I am fairly active on a few online forums. For all of my posts there I have an outside image hosting that I use for all images added to posts or technical articles.

By doing that I keep the bandwidth use away from my cart site and on the image hosting site.

Comment

Working...
          X