Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High End Cosmetics at Discount Prices (site)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High End Cosmetics at Discount Prices (site)

I have finished moving my site from another platform.

Come take a look (especially if you love makeup!)

http://www.MakeupDealOfTheDay.com

Sorry, Didn't get to look at it. Any site with a email marketing popup on the front page I close.
    Just my opinion.

Comment

I totally agree with mondo on this one.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm with the other posts that I closed right away with the pop-up.

Comment

Yeah, well the conversion rate to join my email list is way higher than without it. I assume you're all male and not in my target market?

It doesn't help that 3dcart defaults the email signup to below the fold.

Comment

Your conversion rate might be higher, but your bounce rate is probably as well.

Comment

I believe I am from your target demographic, and unfortunately I have to agree with the others who commented on this. Any site that pushed email marketing that way off the bat turns me away. I don't think I will ever use a pop-up such as yours for my own business, but if I did it most certainly wouldn't appear until the customer had something in their cart.
              Laura Z
              Brass & Silver Traditions
              www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

Originally posted by wcsjohn View Post
                Your conversion rate might be higher, but your bounce rate is probably as well.
                Actually my bounce rate is very, very low.

Comment

Originally posted by brassandsilver View Post
                  I believe I am from your target demographic, and unfortunately I have to agree with the others who commented on this. Any site that pushed email marketing that way off the bat turns me away. I don't think I will ever use a pop-up such as yours for my own business, but if I did it most certainly wouldn't appear until the customer had something in their cart.
                  I'm having a very difficult time getting people to sign up for the mailing list without that. I don't think people see the other signup list box or link.

The popup happens _once_ when someone first comes onto the site. It does not ever appear again once they close it.

If you have other ideas, I'm open to them. But is it seriously that offensive? I'm not hearing complaints from anyone, nor have I had any negative feedback on it until this thread.

I see these kinds of boxes on other sites, pretty regularly. To me, they are less obtrusive than a popup or pop under and they really don't bother me so long as I can figure out how to close them.

Comment

As an aside, ya'll don't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling here.

If you don't like something, offering an alternative idea, or telling me what's worked for you, would be far more helpful than something that's not too far from, "you suck." :(

Show me your sites? What are you doing to get conversions to your mailing list? What's working for you? What's not working for you? And uh...how's your bounce rate? :D

Comment

We do get people signing up for our email list just from the website, but aside from providing the sign up option on our frame, we don't push for people to sign up until after purchase, when we give them an incentive offer in their shipment. We also offer email list exclusive deals and advertise those via Facebook, Twitter, and Blogs. Our email list grows slowly but steadily, and that is fine for us. Over time, we have found that it is better to have a smaller but more highly qualified list than a larger one comprised of people who aren't as specifically interested in our business.

I certainly don't mean to be overly critical, but you did ask for our opinions. If you feel strongly that this marketing technique is beneficial to your business then of course keep it. I just know that for my website, using that method would do far more harm than good. Also from a customer's perspective, I really would not continue to shop on a website that marketed in that way. That is just my perspective. You say your email sign-up has increased significantly. For how long have you been using this? My suggestion would be to research this using one of the Google Website Optimizer tools. Google Webmaster has lots of different functions to analyze your site performance. I believe you can even create alternative pages and have them tested to see which versions perform better. Perhaps that would let you know if you should keep it as is, or try another approach.
                      Laura Z

Comment

luxuria,
                        These are not personal attacks, they're personal opinions which were requested. If you're sold on it keep it.
                        Yeah, well the conversion rate to join my email list is way higher than without it. I assume you're all male and not in my target market?
                        Demographics or not most people don't like any pop ups especially upon arrival wanting personal information. We don't even know who you are yet. Surprised it got though my blocker.

As far as suggestions:
                        1)It doesn't help that 3dcart defaults the email signup to below the fold.
                        Move it, make it bigger. The code block is in the frame and begins with:
                        <!--START: FRAME_MAILLIST-->
                        And ends with:
                        <!--END: FRAME_MAILLIST-->

2)You can also make the "Yes!, I would like to be notified of product updates." check box in the checkout checked by default. I 'think' that puts them on the mailing list. They would uncheck it to opt out.

3)Put a additional sign up on the confirmation page.
                        Last edited by mondo; 10-24-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Laura, my email stats, per mailchimp, are way above industry average. I have a high open and click through rate and an engaged readership.

I confess I had some concerns about the lightbox. I solicited input from trusted friends and have solicited further input from random twitter folks I "know". I'm really not getting any objections. I believe the reason why is that the lightbox form comes on once and never disturbs anyone again.

I also think my business model is different enough from other sites that people are interested enough, even if they might have one tickle of annoyance. (My value proposition is really only found in one other site...and they are based out of Hong Kong and therefore less trusted.

Mondo, it's not a "popup", which is why your popup blocker doesn't block it. It is a lightbox form...not really any different than the lightbox that let's people see larger photos of your products. I'm sure you've seen them in a lot of web sites as a way of delivering advertising.

And I do know where the form code is. I had to replace it with mailchimp. But for whatever reason, I don't seem to be able to move it to where I want it. But even if I could...I can't imagine changing that unless some A/B testing gave me a reason to do so.

Anyway, aside from my controversial email collecting code, doesn't anyone have any other input?

I was with Shopify before moving to 3dcart and they had a much stronger sense of community in their forums than I see here. Lots of people helping other people. Maybe because they have almost no tech support, and 3dcart is 24/7...so we don't rely on each other much?

Most of what I post here, seems to disappear into silence.

Comment

Hi everyone! I'm VERY new, and my site is up; but I haven't marketed it yet, since I continue to work on the aesthetics. It changes by the day :)

But this isn't about me :) OMG Luxuria!! I love your site! You revised it and omitted the Lightbox. I'd visited your site last night, and frankly didn't continue due to the 'Lightbox'. I just revisited and LOVE IT. Very clean, efficient and the pricing is reasonable! Great job, darlin. Are you going to carry the Lancome Dual Finish product?

I also visited several other posters' sites - can't remember their names but each was impressively built. I was most impressed with the concession website - lots to it, efficient use of space, very impressive. The shaving site had such a wonderful, warm feel, and there was a site with children shoes...great copy and the products pop! And the brass and silver site......added that to my favs :)

www.creativepawtography.com

Comment

Thanks, Creativepaw. I looked at your sight - what a neat idea! Also I love, love, love your intro page.

Luxuria, I looked at your sight again. I really like that you can browse easily by either brand or product type. Do you have additional products that you will be adding, though? For example I love MAC products, so I went right to that page, but there is only one MAC item listed.

Visually I thought your header was too much black, and I wonder if you have looked at other font choices for your company name in the header? I personally would find a softer, but larger font to be more appealing than the block lettering. Just a thought. Also, I have never used Shopify, so I can't speak to their forums, but I have found a lot of good information and help on the forums here. True not every post gets a response, but if you bump the topic it usually will get some feedback. Overall 3dCart is awesome. I am so glad we switched to this platform, and I hope you find the same to be true!
                              Laura Z

Comment

Working...
                              X