Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Change Shipping Methods Display During Checkout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Change Shipping Methods Display During Checkout?

A large number of my customers are quite technically inept when it comes to online ordering, and the current way of displaying the shipping choices (we offer UPS and USPS) is REALLY confusing for them. Is there some sort of change that can be made to the Step 2 page which will display ALL the choices (regardless of shipper) at once? Making the customers click "Display Rates" for each different shipper is causing confusion. Our customers are missing obvious lower cost shipping choices because they don't see everything all at the same time.

Now granted, some customers HATE UPS and will pay any price to have USPS ship for them. And some feel exactly the opposite. But 95% of the time, people just want the lowest cost option. I can't figure out why they choose a $12.00 UPS rate when there's a First Class USPS rate in the $3.00 range. And the only thing I can think of is that they are not understanding how the selection process works by clicking those "Display Rates" links. I've tried to add an explanation in the Shipping Methods box which says "Pick a Shipping Method (click "Display Rates" to see costs for each carrier):" but that's still not working for many people.

So does anyone have some ideas on how to make this easier for our customers to figure out?
    Last edited by piaf; 01-20-2011, 11:52 PM.

I agree. This is way too confusing. I'm moving another store over from volusion and we use by weight, usps, and fedex methods. Customers will never get this. I would be very interested in a solution also.

Amy
    (amytxus on volusion forum)

Comment

UPS does not like showing their rates along side of any other competitors, so they asked that this be implemented and this is going to be the way it always displays on the default installations.

Now, should you edit the checkout template and change:

Code:
      <div name="divShipping[OPTION-SHIPPER]" id="divShipping[OPTION-SHIPPER]" class="ship" style="display:none;">
      to

Code:
      <div name="divShipping[OPTION-SHIPPER]" id="divShipping[OPTION-SHIPPER]" class="ship" style="display:block;">
      That should do it.....
      ----------------------------
      Gonzalo Gil
      3dCart Support
      800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thanks Ganzolagil!
        Wish I had waited a hour before spending one playing with it.
        Looks much better.
        Can't believe it was that easy.

Comment

I would like to change this but don't see this line of code on 1page_checkout.html or checkout_singlepage.html

Is there another template with this line of code? Obviously I am using single page checkout.

Comment

Anyway to show all shipping methods on the 1 page checkout?

Comment

We'll sure be trying this fix. Thanks again Gonzalo!

Comment

Only took a minute. I also commented out the 'display rates' line since it was no longer applicable.
                Last edited by mondo; 01-21-2011, 04:33 PM.

Comment

You might want to also get rid of "Display Rates" because if they hit that it goes back to normal. I would still prefer a single list like on the calculate shipping rates prior to the checkout page.

Comment

Bump, to learn how to do this with 1 page checkout...

Comment

We do have this on our one page checkout. I'll look for the code and post it here later today...
                      Laura Z
                      Brass & Silver Traditions
                      www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

Were you able to find this code? I would really like to use it on my site to make freight costs a little easier for the customers.

Comment

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
                          Were you able to find this code? I would really like to use it on my site to make freight costs a little easier for the customers.
                          Yes, It was right on the one page checkout page. Do a CTRL+F and search for it on the page. Its there.

Comment

Originally posted by tmilone103 View Post
                            Yes, It was right on the one page checkout page. Do a CTRL+F and search for it on the page. Its there.
                            I found it. I had been looking at the wrong page. I was looking at 1page_checkout.html. Its in the checkout-singlepage.html page.

Comment

Sorry, I got busy with non-work things yesterday and forgot to post it. I'm glad you were able to find it. So, it is displaying for you all as you wanted now?

Our code snippet looks like this:
                              <td colspan="5"><div name="divShipping[OPTION-SHIPPER]" id="divShipping[OPTION-SHIPPER]" class="ship" style="display:'';">
                              Last edited by brassandsilver; 01-23-2011, 12:39 PM.
                              Laura Z
                              Brass & Silver Traditions
                              www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

Working...
                              X