Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom HTML, tags, and other design issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• syncbox
    replied
    Originally posted by ScribeTime View Post

1. To be honest, I'm completely confused on how to "marry" my own custom design with the cart. I'm planning on redesigning my existing site, so hadn't planned on taking advantage of the migration service.

you'll be editing frame.html, category_x.html and listing_x.html in your new design's layout folder. (for every design, there's a layout folder) copy one, rename it. Then edit frame.html. This will be your "interface". There's flexibility in design. I have redone mine without the tables... (still a work in progress, but I'm past that part). To get the "middle" of the page to show up, you copy home.html from common into your layout folder. Then add header and footer content from Settings>Design>Titles & Content. (ignore that these are labeled header and footer... they are simply discreet blocks of content that look for the <!--START: CATEGORY_HEADER--> and <!--END: CATEGORY_HEADER--> (same for footer) and replace [CONTENT] with what you enter in Settings>Design>Titles & Content for each (header and footer). The naming is bizarre and confusing to me... but that's what I figured out and it seems to work fine. You have to be quite good at xhtml and css to not use their tables for the interface... I wouldn't suggest it for the faint of heart ;)

The same approach (only more complex) goes for your product categories... copy a category_0.html file from common into your layout folder, then edit it. Again, you don't have to add any of the stuff from the frame document, just what goes in the middle. Keep in mind that you are separating structure from content... the file contains the structure (generally, the html and "tags" that are replaced with the actual content (text, images, prices, form elements, etc) that you set globally in the Settings>General>Store Settings and Settings>Design>Titles & Content as well as (per product, which can override global settings) in Products>Category and Products>View/Edit (tabbed panels) WHEW! complex, but it wouldn't be, if the names of the settings and fields were better.

I will be doing a custom new design in Dreamweaver, but am a bit confused on how to do some of the things that I'd like to do. My understanding is that I need to download one of the templates and then make changes in Dreamweaver(?).

yes, per above, but saved into your layout folder, not common.

But for instance, one of the things that I'd like to do is to have a little view cart icon, items in cart, and subtotal type information/section in my header that would be updated when a customer makes changes to their cart. I'd also like to have my search box in the header.

I haven't been able to find any documentation with guidance on how to do custom design and integrate it with the cart. Is there any type of documentation on what tags or other items I should use for custom design and layout for things like this?

SEE: https://www.3dcart.com/guide which has a list of all tags, but not much explanation and not accurate with respect to what should be in [] and/or in CAPS vs lowercase. The knowledge base design section has some articles for editing the category and listing templates.

Since I'm using the Demo version now I don't think that I have FTP access, but would like to see what I may be getting myself into.

I can't imagine not have that access and depending upon the admin interface to do everything! However, if you plan to use the Template Editor, it only really works in Internet Explorer (windows) browsers... I found that out the hard way!

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Wish I could help more. I'm looking for help on a lot of this myself and I feel your pain!

Leave a comment:

• ScribeTime
    replied
    Thanks

Hey Mueller,

I've been so busy I can't remember if I thank you via a PM or not. If I didn't already - thanks for taking the time to respond. I've already gotten my account setup and plan to download and play around with the templates this evening. I look forward to making a more formal introduction to the forum once I'm all up and running.

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• mueller
    replied
    I have had help with initial design from 3DC but then made many changes customizations myself. Everything you talk about in your post is definitely possible with 3DC. As far as how hard it is to implement, most or all of the information to run and change a site is well documented but as for customizing the site as you mention, that is not easily documented. I would suggest finding the pieces you want in the different templates they offer and use it as a reference (copy/paste).

I believe you are correct in that the test site does not allow for FTP. Much of how hard it would be to implement what you want depends on your experience level. If you know what FTP and Dreamweaver are you probably have enough knowledge or gumption to get it done.

Good luck and welcome to 3DC.

Leave a comment:

• ScribeTime
    started a topic Custom HTML, tags, and other design issues.

Custom HTML, tags, and other design issues.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently with another cart, but am seriously considering switching to
    3dcart. I've been experimenting with the demo store and software but had a few questions and wonder if anyone can help me?

1. To be honest, I'm completely confused on how to "marry" my own custom design with the cart. I'm planning on redesigning my existing site, so hadn't planned on taking advantage of the migration service.

I will be doing a custom new design in Dreamweaver, but am a bit confused on how to do some of the things that I'd like to do. My understanding is that I need to download one of the templates and then make changes in Dreamweaver(?). But for instance, one of the things that I'd like to do is to have a little view cart icon, items in cart, and subtotal type information/section in my header that would be updated when a customer makes changes to their cart. I'd also like to have my search box in the header.

I haven't been able to find any documentation with guidance on how to do custom design and integrate it with the cart. Is there any type of documentation on what tags or other items I should use for custom design and layout for things like this?

Since I'm using the Demo version now I don't think that I have FTP access, but would like to see what I may be getting myself into.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Working...
X