Google Site Search Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Site Search Questions

I'm curious if anyone out there is using the Google 'Site Search' Feature that is available. I'm would like to get some information before I shell out the annual money.

Google Site Search - A Google Search Engine for Your Website

If I may ask, why not just stay with the search function avaiable in 3dCart? If that has not worked for you, have you tried the "Advanced Search" feature? Maybe this is a better option and it's free.

BTW: I went to your site to use the search and noticed a possible "problem". When I placed my curser in your search box, it didn't "clear" the box of the existing text. I had to delete the text to type in my search word. With my store template, when you place the curser in the search box, it clears ALL text so that the customer can begin typing.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
      If I may ask, why not just stay with the search function avaiable in 3dCart? If that has not worked for you, have you tried the "Advanced Search" feature? Maybe this is a better option and it's free.

BTW: I went to your site to use the search and noticed a possible "problem". When I placed my curser in your search box, it didn't "clear" the box of the existing text. I had to delete the text to type in my search word. With my store template, when you place the curser in the search box, it clears ALL text so that the customer can begin typing.

The main reason that I can see to use the Google search feature is for indexing purposes. I'm sure there are other reason but that seems to be the biggest. In my industry there are alot of Comic Book retailers selling the exact same item and to me it seems I would do better if the product gets indexed quicker.

Thank you for pointing out that issue with my search feature. I will have to see what I did to change it from the default.

Comment

The main reason that I can see to use the Google search feature is for indexing purposes.
        I understand, but unfortunately I have no experience with the Google search feature.

Thank you for pointing out that issue with my search feature. I will have to see what I did to change it from the default.
        Only trying to help! I just wanted to point it out in case you were not aware.

BTW: Nice looking website! Hope all is well tonight and the next coming days with the storm!
        Last edited by Barry; 08-28-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toymaster View Post
          There's an easy way to fix this. Just add onClick="this.value=''" to the end of your search input box.

Mine looks like this:

HTML Code:
          <input name="keyword" type="text" id="searchlight" value="Product Search" size="20" onClick="this.value=''">
          Hope this helps.
          Andres

Comment

Originally posted by Toymaster View Post
            I'm curious if anyone out there is using the Google 'Site Search' Feature that is available. I'm would like to get some information before I shell out the annual money.

Google Site Search - A Google Search Engine for Your Website
            I used it on my previous web site by necessity - the baked-in search functionality was awful with the other cart.

Google Custom Search took some time to set up, but you can pretty much get it to look and feel like you want but have to dig pretty deep in the code to get there (at least you did 2 years ago). You have the ability to split searches by certain criteria - for instance, I had a general search for product data, plus a data sheet search that would only show PDF's from a certain folder on the server.

Overall, for $100 a year, it was well worth it. But again, I only used it because the search provided with the cart I was using was horrible. I personally love 3dCart's search features and how customizable it is.

Good luck!
            Chris
            TC Life Safety
            TC Wireless

Comment

Working...
            X