Change Insurance default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Insurance default

Can anyone tell me how to change the default on Insurance to what translates to yes I want insurance (insurance radio selected) rather than the no insurance radio selected as the default?

I had a module with my old Miva cart that did this and the majority (85%) did not deselect the insurance default. I have also found that in a chargeback having proof that someone had to deselect the insurance made my chargeback result in a positive outcome for me.

I am using multipage checkout since insurance is not in the one page version.

Thanks in advance.

I had done this in my old store but have gone to the new HTML5 and lost the modifications ...
    I had to redo it and came across this post.

For anyone else wondering why you want to do this...
    Some payment processors put the responsibility of insuring the package on you.
    Even have a solid TOS on your site explaining that first class mail is not insured by default and giving people the option.

By making insurance selected "YES" the default, you are eliminating the case in which a customer has an issue, wants you to cover an uninsured shipment and tells your processor they didn't see the option for insurance when checking out ... because they HAD to deselect it.

Method:
    ->Go in to Template Editor
    ->Select "checkout-step2.html
    ->Search for "Insurance" on the page until you find the section of code that looks like this:
    --------------------------------------
    <td class="item" align="left"><input type="radio" name="insurance" value="yes" checked>
    (+[insurance_cost]) [checkout2_insurance-selected]

<!--START: optional-->
    <br />
    <input type="radio" name="insurance" value="no">
    [checkout2_insurance-not-selected]
    <!--END: optional-->

</td>

------------------------------------

Then change it to look like this:

------------------------------------
    <td class="item" align="left">

<!--START: optional-->

<input type="radio" name="insurance" value="no">
    [checkout2_insurance-not-selected]
    <!--END: optional-->
    <br />
    <input type="radio" name="insurance" value="yes" checked>
    (+[insurance_cost]) [checkout2_insurance-selected]
    </td>

-----------------------------------
    -> Click Save

WHY:
    Radio buttons look for the last input that says "checked" as default.

You want to move the "YES" option to after the "NO" in case you have insurance as optional based on dollar amount.
    That way, when it is an option, it will be checked.

Hope that helps others.
    Last edited by lockeduprc; 09-02-2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X