Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile Site Feedback Loop (does it create a black hole?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Site Feedback Loop (does it create a black hole?)

Has anyone else noticed this feedback loop:
    1. Person visits your store using a mobile device
    2. 3dcart system recognizes mobile device
    3. 3dcart serves up the mobile version of your store
    4. Person decides they want to see the "real" site and not just the mobile version
    5. Person clicks the "visit whole site" link
    6. Session is directed to "whole site"
    7. 3dcart system recognizes mobile device
    8. 3dcart serves up the mobile version of your store

...ad infinitum.

If the universe hasn't collapsed before you read this, anyone have any ideas?

It's the code in the template that recognizes the mobile. If the code isn't there the site opens in the browser just like most sites. Most phone use the browser anyway.
    It's in Settings>Design>Header and Footer
    Looks like this if you didn't put it in yourself.
    <script type="text/javascript" src="assets/templates/common/mobile/detect.js"> </script>
    David
    David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

Originally posted by InsnWizard View Post
      It's the code in the template that recognizes the mobile. If the code isn't there the site opens in the browser just like most sites. Most phone use the browser anyway.
      It's in Settings>Design>Header and Footer
      Looks like this if you didn't put it in yourself.
      <script type="text/javascript" src="assets/templates/common/mobile/detect.js"> </script>
      Thanks for the response. The 2 choices we see are either to remove the mobile detect script (no one gets to the mobile site) OR remove the code for the "visit whole site" button (eliminating the possibility of the feedback loop).

But I think that shouldn't be the case. For one, we think the mobile site is really nice and easy to use - on my cr*ppy android phone anyway, the mobile site is MUCH easier to use then the whole site. But on the other hand, I know that because I've tested both. But I imagine that other customers may want to see both versions. I know that when I visit other company's sites on my phone, I really like when a mobile site pops up but I also like the option of being able to view their 'real' site if I don't see (or don't like) the mobile version.

Comment

You would have to eliminate the button entirely, which stops the loop. The detect script is in the site header. Every time a mobile device hits the site it triggers the code. It doesn't care where it came from.

I've got an Android and I actually prefer to just use the browser on sites and prefer the real version over the mobile version. Most time mobile versions are just too water down for my liking.

Today's cell phones have plenty of horsepower to handle full sites.
        David
        David's Gifts and Things

Comment

Originally posted by InsnWizard View Post
          I've got an Android and I actually prefer to just use the browser on sites and prefer the real version over the mobile version. Most time mobile versions are just too water down for my liking.

Today's cell phones have plenty of horsepower to handle full sites.
          I'm just the opposite wrt our full site on a mobile device. I think it looks horrible. The mobile version is clean and easy to navigate and easy to buy from. May not be the best for an informational visitor, but for a purchase-ready visitor, I think the mobile version is ideal.

I will have to review stats to see if I can tell what kind of mobile devices are visiting the site. I've tried to look at the site using some emulators but none of the ones I've found seem to work very well so I don't think I'm getting a good representation.

Comment

Smarterstats>browsers>mobile phones
            Smarterstats>browsers>platforms
            David
            David's Gifts and Things

Comment

Smarterstats>browsers>browsers

Shows all even PlayStation portable
              David
              David's Gifts and Things

Comment

HA HA was just there. Don't have any Playstation folks ourselves but do see iphone with exactly double the visits of android, both of which are a cr*pload more than everything else. And heaven knows what Konqueror is! Need to check that out.

Comment

Web Browser
                  Konqueror
                  is powered by the KHTML rendering engine (and optionally Webkit) which means it supports the latest web standards such as HTML5, Javascript, CSS3, and others.
                  David
                  David's Gifts and Things

Comment

Originally posted by JustPoppin View Post
                    Thanks for the response. The 2 choices we see are either to remove the mobile detect script (no one gets to the mobile site) OR remove the code for the "visit whole site" button (eliminating the possibility of the feedback loop).

But I think that shouldn't be the case. For one, we think the mobile site is really nice and easy to use - on my cr*ppy android phone anyway, the mobile site is MUCH easier to use then the whole site. But on the other hand, I know that because I've tested both. But I imagine that other customers may want to see both versions. I know that when I visit other company's sites on my phone, I really like when a mobile site pops up but I also like the option of being able to view their 'real' site if I don't see (or don't like) the mobile version.
                    I agree. In theory, could the preference be set with a cookie once someone clicks on the view full site link? I'm certain that I've been to sites that autodetect then allow you to remain on their full site once you've clicked over. Maybe 3dcart's set something up wrong in the template.

Comment

Poppin, maybe your template is messed up. I just tested mine this morning and I'm getting through to the full site when I'm clicking on the link in the mobile.
                      David
                      David's Gifts and Things

Comment

On bigger pads these days......

It may be desirable to remove the redirect JS
                        and add a link to view the mobile site just below the product image on the listing page.
                        Clayton
                        Go Live Industries

Comment

Has anyone found a way to solve this loop? I'm having the exact same thing happen and a customer complained.

Comment

View Full Site

is there a fix to this i have the same problem,

i have "<script type="text/javascript" src="assets/templates/common/mobile/detect.js"> </script>" in the headder and every time i try to view the full site the script sends me back to the mobile site

thx fred

Comment

Working...
                            X