Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use of category tags - design question

Hello all
    I have not been able to find this answer in any of the support references re: these tags:<!--START: FRAME_CATEGORY--><!--START: CATEGORIES-->

1) does <!--START: SUB_CATEGORY_FORMAT--> have to live between the start and end of the above tags to work properly?

I realize that the tabled layouts are geared to make the cart layout more flexible, however, my client ISN'T flexible... she wants what she wants in terms of design... my goal is to please the client.

So, I want the main category items in a horizontal bar across the top, but the sub-categories in a column down the left side... I've not seen one default design to match that, so I am building my own and I plan to use a css-based layout. I've not encountered issues with my layout so much as with trying to get the sub-categories to display even when ON a sub-cat display...

I'm wondering if I have to put the tags and such for the sub-categories into the frame.html file to keep them visible at all times (except on pages where no items are displayed, like about us, shopping cart, etc)...

so, more questions:

2) can there be more than one set of <!--START: FRAME_CATEGORY--><!--START: CATEGORIES--> (and ending tags) in the frame.html file? or:

3) can you have one instance of the tags in frame.html and another wrapping a column (with just sub-cat formatting tags) in the category_x.html file?

I realize this is far above the normal question I've seen posted here, since all the layouts display a main cat followed by its subs, then more main cats, etc...

that's just not what the client wants, so I have to try something different yet try to stay with the logic of the cart.

I am using tables for display of items, but the interface needs to be css-structured... even if it were not, I'd still need to separate out the sub-cats from the main cats.

PLEASE, anyone have the answer? Gonzalo? :confused:

Hi there,
    To answer your question:

#1 - Yes, SUB_CATEGORY_FORMAT goes inside the categories block, as if there is no sub categories, the categories block will be removed all together. If you put it outside of it, and you have no sub categories, the tag will print out.

#2 - Can there be more than one set of <!--START: FRAME_CATEGORY--><!--START: CATEGORIES--> ?
    No, there can only be 1 of these blocks, additionally, a block from the category_0.html page won't work on the frame.html file.

#3 - Not sure what you mean here, the tags in frame.html will only work there, and the tags in category_0.html will only work there, so you can not take pieces from 1 page and put them in the other. (Well you can, but the parser won't see it and it will just print the code)

Although the explanations on http://www.3dcart.com/guide/ may not be best, i suggest you follow the tag format that is on that page. The page explains the code blocks, and more importantly the structure. There is always a better way to do things, and we are open for suggestions, if you see something you would do differently, share with us, and we may add that functionality in future versions of the software.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
      Hi there,
      To answer your question:

#1 - Yes, SUB_CATEGORY_FORMAT goes inside the categories block, as if there is no sub categories, the categories block will be removed all together. If you put it outside of it, and you have no sub categories, the tag will print out.
      ok... then:

I need to have the sub categories display in a left column when in the category_x view. I have my main categories displayed above (done in frame.html) and I can get the subs to display in a sidebar column BUT, if I click one of those sub-categories, it takes me to that sub-cat and (even though I am using the same category_x file) the sub-categories disappear.

Is there any way to keep the sub-categories visible when on any of those views? For example, let's say I have:

cat 1 | cat 2 | cat 3

in frame.html as a bar along the top.

then, I want to have the middle (category_x) show up like:

sidebar column | category product content

in the sidebar, I want to see (when I click on cat 1):

sub-cat 1a
      sub-cat 1b
      sub-cat 1c (etc)

I can get that to happen.

Now, when I click sub-cat 1a, I want to use the same category_x template and STILL see the same sidebar with sub-cat 1a's "siblings" available to jump from 1a to 1b to 1c, etc.

Possible?

Comment

No, that won't be possible.
        The sub categories list only show on the category page (the parent)

However, that doesnt prevent you from making another category template, with an HTML menu (you create a static menu and stick it in the template) so that it works that you can have that effect, but does mean that if you add/remove a category you have to update that template.
        ----------------------------
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

However, that doesnt prevent you from making another category template, with an HTML menu (you create a static menu and stick it in the template) so that it works that you can have that effect, but does mean that if you add/remove a category you have to update that template.
          I guess I have to take the approach you suggest, as much as that defeats the whole purpose of having things be dynamically generated. :eek:

thanks for answering... this forum seems remarkably empty.

Comment

um... that seems wrong... I see that if I use one of your layouts, the sub-category menus stay on the page when switching from sub-cat1a to sub-cat1b just fine...

not sure why. it seems really odd, since they DO appear in mine if I click a main category (the a, b, c, etc subs display).

in one of your templates, they display, too.

the difference is that when I click sub-cat1a in mine, the menu goes away whereas in yours, it stays.

(displaying 1a, 1b, 1c, etc)

I could see how my approach might not work at all, but NOT why it works, then doesn't.:eek:

Comment

Hey Syncbox,

Have you thought about using a horizontal drop-down menu in the design? I know it's not what you indicated that your client wanted. But I wonder if it would accomplish close to the same purpose that he/she is looking for.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ScribeTime View Post
                Hey Syncbox,

Have you thought about using a horizontal drop-down menu in the design? I know it's not what you indicated that your client wanted. But I wonder if it would accomplish close to the same purpose that he/she is looking for.

Just a thought.
                yes, I've considered it, but the client is adamant about the approved design. I am reworking things per GonzaloGil's suggestion that I make separate category_x files per main category and simply hard-code the left side links.

I've wasted a ton of time already and have to move on. Thanks for the suggestion, though! It's good to see that someone is actually reading posts :)

Comment

Working...
                X