making the selected category look selected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making the selected category look selected

Is there some article somewhere how this software manages category links? I'd like to know how to make a "section" (main category) button look selected after it is clicked and the user is IN that section of the store.

OR do I have to resort to separate templates AGAIN?

I find it hard to believe that no one else expects a section button to look selected after clicking into a category... I've tried the :active and :focus psuedo-selectors but they don't seem to actually work?:eek:

The way you implement this is 100% up to the menu system you use. If you use the standard templates, you are going to be using static links that are built ONCE (during the page rendering), and are not going to be "smart". If you use a javascript menu system like this site:

http://www.menscience.com/ (top tabs)

Then you can have that effect. In essence this is not a shopping cart feature but more of a menu feature, there are many dhtml menus that allow you to keep the last selection selected based on what was clicked or the URL currently being browsed, if this is a must, and you don't want to have multiple static templates, then i suggest you look for a menu system in DHTML or FLASH that will do this for you.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
      The way you implement this is 100% up to the menu system you use. If you use the standard templates, you are going to be using static links that are built ONCE (during the page rendering), and are not going to be "smart". If you use a javascript menu system like this site:

http://www.menscience.com/ (top tabs)

Then you can have that effect. In essence this is not a shopping cart feature but more of a menu feature, there are many dhtml menus that allow you to keep the last selection selected based on what was clicked or the URL currently being browsed, if this is a must, and you don't want to have multiple static templates, then i suggest you look for a menu system in DHTML or FLASH that will do this for you.
      AGAIN, this departs from letting the store manage the text and links of the categories... which, sorry, is just plain ole lame. I don't think it is unreasonable to want to avoid having to make new templates to have another category...

this is just crappy design and logic on the part of this software, imo. Did no one THINK that a person would want the button to look different when IN a section? Having a section look selected is basic design!

:eek:

Comment

There is alot of functionality built in, but there is always something else that could be implemented. Obviously the answer to the question is No, we did not think of that, however, we do improve the software every day and i will take your suggestion to our next product meeting to see how this can be implemented.
        ----------------------------
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

So ... did this ever get implemented? If so, how?

I'm hoping that the 2 years that have gone by has made it obvious that people need to know what the current category is, regardless of what menu system is used. It'd sure be easy to have a "CURRENT_ITEM" in the list of categories, so we can provide different HTML for the current item in order to distinguish it from the others.

Anyone?

Please say there is. It's the only thing missing from a simple menu navigation system. It makes no sense to have to use javascript here.

Comment

As far as i know you must use a javascript option to make it look selected. Yeah i know its really hard to make a nice layout that can be used without javascript.

Comment

Working...
            X