X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just NOT TRUE? knowledgebase BS

IN the knowledgebase article:
    https://www.onlinesupportweb.com/ind...eid=54&nav=0,7

(Using Multiple Templates for Products and Category pages)

it says:

To accomplish this you need to save each different category or listing page with a different number at the end (listing_0.html, listing_1.html, listing_2.html, category_0.html, category_1.html, category_2.html, etc.).

Then from your Store Manager you can select the HTML file that you want to use for a specific category or product (all products and categories use the listing_0.html and category_0.html as the default styles).

To change the Category Style, go to PRODUCTS > CATEGORIES > OPTIONS and change the "Category Page Display Type" field, it'll display as many different styles as category_n.html files you have saved. You can also change the Style of all the products that belong to these category changing the "Product Page Display Type" field.
    Apparently, that is BS? I have category_0.html, category_1.html and category_2.html uploaded to my layout folder and only 2 (Style 1, Style 2) display in that menu.

I hope I am wrong and am just missing something somewhere... :eek:

all references to these category_x custom files say to save them in your layout folder... unless this particular quote from article ID #54 just left out some important difference about WHERE to save the category_x files that are above 0 and 1?

Hi,
    No, its not BS, and before you make such assumptions, perhaps the right question would be "How do i enable multiple templates". To anwer your question, if you are going to use multiple templates, you will need to place a copy of your templates in the common folder AS WELL as your template folder. The system uses the common folder as the BASE templates directory, and so a copy of every template needs to be in that folder.

You don't have to update those if you have a copy on your folder, even a blank file with the same name will do.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
      Hi,
      No, its not BS, and before you make such assumptions, perhaps the right question would be "How do i enable multiple templates". To anwer your question, if you are going to use multiple templates, you will need to place a copy of your templates in the common folder AS WELL as your template folder. The system uses the common folder as the BASE templates directory, and so a copy of every template needs to be in that folder.

You don't have to update those if you have a copy on your folder, even a blank file with the same name will do.
      Excuse me, I DID read that article and NO WHERE in it does it say to put a copy in the common folder... NO WHERE. IN FACT... any reference to customizing your templates DISTINCTLY say to put them in your LAYOUT folder. Show me ONE PLACE where it says something different!

As I have said a couple of times already... the knowledgebase seems sadly lacking - I know you said you guys are working on it, but how long ago did you update your software? A person could write the number of articles you have in your knowledgebase in a week.

:eek:

Comment

I did not say you were incorrect in any way. You are right, the article needs to be updated. I hope i answered your question about this issue and you were able to get the templates to work, if not, let me know.
        ----------------------------
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
          Hi,
          The system uses the common folder as the BASE templates directory, and so a copy of every template needs to be in that folder.
          But, this flies in the face of what one article (in Customizing Templates: an Introduction at https://www.onlinesupportweb.com/ind...id=149&nav=0,7)

says:

the COMMON folder gets overwritten by new 3DCart updates.
          So... my files *could* get overwritten? that article doesn't say anything about *adding* additional category_x files in both places.

I think an overhaul of the articles/knowledgebase is in order, perhaps getting a group of your customers to participate in such a process would be a good thing.

Comment

Working...
          X