Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with redirecting link from product to category

this is a mess.

in short, I'm looking for a way to redirect every link to every product to its one-level-up category.

for the full explanation, let me explain a bit first: we're trying to work around a shortcoming of 3DCart's ability to handle parent child relationships at the product level (that is products, with options) by moving the relationship one layer up to a category/product level (where the final category is essentially the parent, and all products in that category are the children). Why we're doing this is an entire discussion in itself. suffice to say, I've talked with 3DCart support and they agree that our workaround is probably the most elegant way to handle the issue.

so, given our current scenario; and provided that our final category is essentially the 'parent product', we would like this category to be the deepest a user is able to click. Of course it is not. Users may still click on a product within this category and be taken to a product page; users may come in via a search engine directly to a product page; users may use our own on-page search and be taken to a product page; etc., etc.

The site is in active development. If you'd like to see an example of what I'm looking for, you may see the test environment here: Welcome to Atlas International -

templating is still not complete, and not all products have had the final category template applied. But, the following link shows the final "parent" category. To understand what I'm asking for, clicking a link for any of the 3 products in the category should result in a self-referential link...that is it should just link back to the page below rather than the product itself.

American Orthopaedic Cast Saw

clear as mud? thanks for looking.

Boy... that is a mess of a situation. I can't think of a non-hacky way to do it. I guess an HTML redirect on each product detail page, hand-written to go to the category page.

Comment

I guess I have to ask the question to get the answer, but how come you aren't using advanced options for this? I'm sure there is something I'm not seeing, but most of our products run in parent child relationships (i.e. a halloween costume with sizes x-small, small, md, large which often times have different upc codes for each product but technically are the same) isn't this the same situation you are facing?

Please PM me if you don't mind or reply here. I'd like to offer some advice but I can't without the entire picture.

Thanks!

Comment

Wow clear as mud indeed.

If I understand correctly, which I dont think i do, you want your Category page to be your Product page because you want all your Product pages to be redirected to your Category page but you will still be using your Product pages for products?

Are you trying to set up options for a product like jleclair site?
        Sounds like you are looking for something like this
        -Product
        - Product Option 1
        - Product Option 2

If you use your category page as a parent product page what will you use as a Category page when you want to list your Categories? will you be setting up Manufacturers?
        I guess you could set up like this
        -Manufacturers (as Category page to list all your categories)
        - Categories (as product page)
        - Product pages (as Product Option 1)
        - Product pages (as Product Option 2)
        - Peace
        www.ifilters.net

Comment

Originally posted by dibble View Post
          this is a mess.

in short, I'm looking for a way to redirect every link to every product to its one-level-up category.
          Have you tried the "Redirect Link" field under the Meta Tags tab when editing a product?

I believe I understand what you're trying to achieve, just as a suggestion, did you consider setting up the parent item as product instead of a category and then adding the "child" as related products? There is a layout for related products that allows to have either checkboxes or quantity boxes to add the entire group to the cart.

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy3dcart View Post
            Have you tried the "Redirect Link" field under the Meta Tags tab when editing a product?

I believe I understand what you're trying to achieve, just as a suggestion, did you consider setting up the parent item as product instead of a category and then adding the "child" as related products? There is a layout for related products that allows to have either checkboxes or quantity boxes to add the entire group to the cart.

Jimmy
            Hey Guys,

thanks for the replies. i was just revisiting this subject. evidently I neglected to check 'notify of replies' and forgot about this thread.

The above suggested ended up being the solution. I have a set of scripts set to run periodically to populate the empty meta tags, which effectively addresses the issue.

to answer the other question about 'why aren't we using advanced options', the answer lies in the fact that we use customer types to manage different pricing levels. However, the product option prices are NOT enforced by customer type.

So we can have different pricing for the 'master/parent', but the 'options/child' components only take a single price value, which does not work for our customer model. (this is not a standalone store, we are integrating in to a back end accounting system that already has 1000s of parts created with custom price levels and pricing).
            Last edited by dibble; 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X