Using break in product name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using break in product name

Are there any foreseeable problems with using the html <br /> to separate lines of the product name? For instance, my product now displays as:

"Blue Widget with Extra Fine Type"

Using "Blue Widget<br />Extra Fine Type" will display it as

Blue Widget
    Extra Fine Type

Which looks much nicer on the category and listing pages. However, I'm not sure if using html there is acceptable or not?

This would probably work, and I can't think of a spot where this would be a real problem... but there are so many possibilities involved that I would not be surprised if it does cause a problem somewhere in some unpredictable way.

It seems to be like a better solution would be to modify your template pages so that the spot where the item name is displayed is narrower, and let the text wrap naturally.

Comment

This could be a problem if you decide to export a product feed to places like pricegrabber, the find, google shopping, etc.
      - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Originally posted by DeanP View Post
        This could be a problem if you decide to export a product feed to places like pricegrabber, the find, google shopping, etc.
        Aha! Never thought about that. As for changing the template, that just doesn't work in this case. Oh well, I'll just leave it looking crappy

Comment

I recommend staying away from just about all special characters in your product names if you can help it. Super/Subscripted numbers (e.g., square roots), registered trademark symbols, ampersands, even commas.

Numbers, letters, spaces, and hyphens are all I use.
          - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Working...
          X