Custom 404 Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 404 Page

Has anyone done a custom 404 page? How did you get it to take on the look and feel of your site? I'm hitting my head against the wall.

Thanks!
    Joanne Barker
    VS Web Design
    [email protected]

You have to use photoshop or some other editing program.

Basically you have to semi-duplicate your site graphically. Trying to do all the navigation and menus will be impossible.

You can hard code links to your major categories, home page, and shopping cart.

Comment

Really? You'd think they would include a 404 page in their basic templates. Otherwise, you get a blank page when you have a bad link?
      Joanne Barker
      VS Web Design
      [email protected]

Comment

404 Page

You can make your 404 any way you want to. Mine does not duplicate my site. I used a funny image, "The Scream" and coded in relevant links to the main important areas: home, category index, product index, polices, etc. Be creative!

Comment

Thanks....I realize I can create any page I want. I wanted the page to basically use the frame code and have my content with the 404 message and a link back to the home page or something. I don't want the user to feel that they left the site.

It seems like a 404 page should be a page they have a layout page for....
          Joanne Barker
          VS Web Design
          [email protected]

Comment

my custom 404 page

I am not highly tech savy, but this is my custom 404 page .

http://www.sunshinedaydream.biz/404.html

I just created the page in an html program and recreated the look using my background image that is throughout my site.

I just named it 404.html and upload it via FTP to my site's theme folder

Maybe there is a better way, but this wasn't too hard and it worked for me.

Sunshine Daydream Hippie Shop
            www.sunshinedaydream.biz

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions...

I took a simple web page. Copied the generated source code of the page and removed all the placeholders 3DC uses so at least it looks like my site. I still have to fix the footer, but you can get the gist of it.

http://garlicfestival.3dcartstores.c...estival-foods1
              Joanne Barker
              VS Web Design
              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by vswebdesign View Post
                Thanks for the suggestions...

I took a simple web page. Copied the generated source code of the page and removed all the placeholders 3DC uses so at least it looks like my site. I still have to fix the footer, but you can get the gist of it.

http://garlicfestival.3dcartstores.c...estival-foods1
                I'm no web designer, but my .02 is that you should make the link back to your home page in the center more defined. Make it stand out more cause it seems to blend in too easy with the rest of the page. At least bold the verbage in the box.

Sunshine Daydream Hippie Shop
                www.sunshinedaydream.biz

Comment

Is there anyway to add a script to a 404 page that automatically redirects a user to the home page???

That would make more sense.

Comment

Yes, it is easy to do with javascript, but it is not recommended. It breaks web conventions.

Comment

I was looking to do the same thing and didn't find that any of the answers here were satisfactory, nor were the ones I found in other threads, so I had no choice but to figure out how to do it myself. This is the real answer to the actual question which was how to create a custom 404 page that looks and works EXACTLY like the other pages on your website.

Fortunately, the solution is far easier than people have made it out to be. All you need to do is copy the source code from a regular content page and paste it into your template's 404.html file. In my case, I brought up the About Us page in my browser and right clicked on it to view the source code. I then copied all of that code and pasted it into the 404.html file, replacing all of the code that used to be there and hit SAVE. Voila, when I entered a few nonsense characters after my domain name's trailing forward slash into my browser, I got my new 404 page, which was really just a duplicate of the About Us page.

Next, I opened up the 404.html file again and searched for the <h1> tag on the page and changed it from "About Us" to "Page Not Found". Finally, I pasted in my own HTML content into the place where the text for the About Us page was.Hit SAVE and you're done!

Comment

why - why not have some fun? https://dev-windycityparrot-com.3dca...es/404-new.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X