New theme shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New theme shop

I'm looking at upgrading our template to one of the new ones on the theme store. But which themes are responsive and which aren't? Can I see anything beyond the front page before selecting a template? I don't want to pay $100 for a template to discover it doesn't have features I thought it did.

Thanks!
    Julie

I do not believe there are any commercially available responsive themes available. 3dcartdesigns has hinted at a responsive theme coming shortly.

I have been building out our templates to be a responsive theme. It has been challenging.

Hoosierdraft's website at Mill Supplies - Contractor and Industrial Tools & Supplies - MillSupplies.com is a responsive theme. So it is feasible.

jeff
    Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

I'm working on a couple of responsive themes at the moment also. Seems 3dcart's wasn't quite ready to go yet. Their theme store says its undergoing some restructuring.

I'm also the developer that did millsupplies.com if anyone has any questions or would like to speak about doing their website in responsive, please feel free to contact me. [email protected]

Comment

I think with these templates you only get the frame. You would have to pay extra for category, search, detail, etc if you want any customization or to make the design match the look of the home page.
        I am also still waiting for a 3dcart or a 3dcart certified responsive theme to re-do our store.

Comment

ya know, elightbox, only after reading your post here did it click that 3dcart wasn't offering anything else than the front page. I find it both sad, and encouraging at the same time. It leaves the opportunity for us outsiders to create something that the whole 3dcart community may benefit from, but also sad that 3dcart hyped these up pretty big and it's all but comprehensive.

I plan on releasing a responsive template shortly after the beginning of the year. This will include frame, home, search, one listing variation, category (list and grid), view_cart, and checkouts (single page AND steps 1-3 variations). backend sections for accounts and such will not be included, but I may consider doing them for an additional fee. I hope we can get a couple more developers to offer the same things, as I believe the lack of really solid templates is one of the reasons 3dcart isn't more popular. I'd love to see the community grow here.

Comment

Originally posted by jleclair View Post
            I plan on releasing a responsive template shortly after the beginning of the year. This will include frame, home, search, one listing variation, category (list and grid), view_cart, and checkouts (single page AND steps 1-3 variations). backend sections for accounts and such will not be included, but I may consider doing them for an additional fee.
            How are you planning on handling all the pop-ups?

Building the base site in a responsive mode was pretty easy. There are numerous pop-ups that do not work well in small screens. It has been converting the various pop-ups to a modal approach that has been challenging.

jeff
            Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

@jcocking do you have any popups in mind in particular? I bypass quick cart - in my opinion it's junk. I also prefer to stick with magic zoom so there's no popups there. I'm not sure what you mean by "all the popups" in all the stores I've worked with, there have been very few to deal with.

Comment

I assume he means things like Add to Waiting List or Make an Offer, which pop up from the product detail page.

Comment

We have business reasons for that require us to use quick cart. Don't have the option to ignore it.

Yes, the various pop-ups used throughout the system:
                  • Ask a Question
                  • Email a friend
                  • Review a Product
                  • Add to waiting list
                  • Make an offer
                  • quick cart
                  • quick view
                  • image gallery
                  • product questions
                  • product answers

I am sure there are more, but these are the quick ones that come to mind.

jeff
                  Last edited by jcocking; 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM.
                  Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

I plan on releasing a responsive template shortly after the beginning of the year
                    Jleclair, This sounds very promising, and I am glad it is a comprehensive template. Maybe you can work with 3dcart to certify it and list it on the Appstore. Their cut seems very reasonable for all the added exposure and the certification process, and also maybe they will work with you to iron out some kinks that they might have to fix on their end if need be.

Add 2 pop-ups for Product Questions (question and answer) to that list.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                      Add 2 pop-ups for Product Questions (question and answer) to that list.
                      Added to the master list. If anyone thinks of other pop-ups, please let us know. This can be our documentation.

jeff
                      Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

That's a great list. I guess some of that slips your mind until you are staring it in the face again. Thank you for that.

Depending on the situation, I would either load the page into a modal, or intercept the standard behavior that 3dcart has of just opening a new _blank window and instead ajax the content in. From there, a little dom rewrite and a slick page slide down or hover box may be more appropriate than a full on modal. it will really depend on the circumstances and how much time I would have to mess around with it.

@jcocking.. can i ask or can you pm me what the requirement is that forces you to use quick cart?

would a mini cart that is toggle-able from the upper right hand corner satisfy the same needs? this is planned for my initial rollout.

Comment

@jcocking.. can i ask or can you pm me what the requirement is that forces you to use quick cart?
                          I avoided the quick cart all together after multiple recurring issues. Lets just say I am not a fan. That's why I started doing the drop cart in templates and independently as well. Much lighter also.
                          TheCartDesigner.com
                          Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
                          100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

I love the mini cart from 3dcartdesigns, it is lightweight and very well done. I just wish there was a way to alert customers to its existence as many still miss it and just sit there adding the same item to the cart until they get the Out-of-Stock error page.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                              I love the mini cart from 3dcartdesigns, it is lightweight and very well done. I just wish there was a way to alert customers to its existence as many still miss it and just sit there adding the same item to the cart until they get the Out-of-Stock error page.
                              Still working on that unfortunately. It has fallen behind a required site name change I am currently dealing with.
                              TheCartDesigner.com
                              Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
                              100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X