Hate (ok dislike) my site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate (ok dislike) my site

So I've been staring at my site for a few weeks now trying to figure out how to make it more cosmetically pleasing and less old school. It's built on one of the 'premium' templates but, imho, those are only marginally better than the standard templates.

Forgetting about responsive for now (that would be part of a total redesign), would any of you be willing to make suggestions that I might be able to incorporate on my site to make it more visually appealing? I know it's all subjective but I'll take anything...and if I use your suggestions (even as a muse), I'll send you a free personal tub of my hand cleaner :)

check it out: Heavy duty hand cleaner that works without solvents or lanolin:http://www.zolex-handcleaner.com

TIA
    Jeff
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-28-2013, 05:35 PM.
    http://www.zolex-handcleaner.com

A Few Observations
    • Too much wasted real estate - large sections of "white".
    • Work WITH your logo color scheme - use those colors for highlighting areas / drawing attention to areas. EX: Convert the rounded corner tabs over your sections to that green; text black.
    • Lighten the background color to #e8e8e8 or #f8f8f8
    • Avoid underlining. It looks like a link.
    • Divide your home page mini-size video and the text link above it onto one line; reduce the font size of that text about in half <tr><td>text</td><td>video</td></tr>
    • If you're going to use such a wide template, consider adding one more Featured product on the Home page or reducing the site width to 980px or less.
    • Change the "blue" background on the shopping cart to a light color with black text.
    • Change the Your Price text to a deep pink (again, keeping with logo colors); make the change in the stylesheet. The "pink in your topnav rollover will probably work fine.
    • Your "Stay Connected" icons need colors. Currently they blend in, instead of standing out.
    • Use a consistent style on your "where to buy" page.
    • Your payment types are too small and hard to find. Try putting them in the footer with your shipping types too.
    • Center your site.
    • Avoid using brackets or symbols in "text" areas

This should get you started. Best of luck on your venture!

Comment

Originally posted by celebra1 View Post
      • Too much wasted real estate - large sections of "white".
      • Work WITH your logo color scheme - use those colors for highlighting areas / drawing attention to areas. EX: Convert the rounded corner tabs over your sections to that green; text black.
      • Lighten the background color to #e8e8e8 or #f8f8f8
      • Avoid underlining. It looks like a link.
      • Divide your home page mini-size video and the text link above it onto one line; reduce the font size of that text about in half <tr><td>text</td><td>video</td></tr>
      • If you're going to use such a wide template, consider adding one more Featured product on the Home page or reducing the site width to 980px or less.
      • Change the "blue" background on the shopping cart to a light color with black text.
      • Change the Your Price text to a deep pink (again, keeping with logo colors); make the change in the stylesheet. The "pink in your topnav rollover will probably work fine.
      • Your "Stay Connected" icons need colors. Currently they blend in, instead of standing out.
      • Use a consistent style on your "where to buy" page.
      • Your payment types are too small and hard to find. Try putting them in the footer with your shipping types too.
      • Center your site.
      • Avoid using brackets or symbols in "text" areas

This should get you started. Best of luck on your venture!
      Thank you. I've definitely been staring at this for too long. All great points.

Please PM your postal address so I can send you a tub for your time.

ALSO for everyone else....just PM me and I'll send you a free sample. Potshots at my site or not :)

Jeff
      Last edited by [email protected]; 12-28-2013, 06:01 PM.
      http://www.zolex-handcleaner.com

Comment

Working...
      X