Convert external url to jpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert external url to jpg

I use a drop shipper for my pottery inventory. They provide the pictures in the form of a url. The problem with using an external link for item pictures is that when the customer hovers over the picture they can see the url for the dropshipper. Since they are somewhat of a competitor, I really don't want them to see this. Also, they are not able to see pictures of the items in confirming emails. If I rework the code so the customer cannot see the url when they hover over the image, I lose the ability to use the zoom features.

Is there anyway to work around this or some sort of code or software that will take a url and convert it into jpg? I have about 150,000 images.

Thanks!

Also, I have tried to get them to ftp me the images but they said they are unable to do that. They are unable to grant ftp access.

Comment

Try DownloadThemAll, an add-on for Firefox. You can feed it a CSV of URLs and use filters to tell it what file types to download, and also rename on the fly.
      Chris
      TC Life Safety
      TC Wireless

Comment

You might consider a Content Delivery Network like CloudFront. You have the ability to use a CloudFront domain name or use a cname like "images.polishpotteryhouse.com".

With CloudFront, you would make the company that hosts the images your origin server. CloudFront then would go to them to get your images. You would also get increased speed and performance for your website as CloudFront caches the images at 30+ servers throughout the world (14 in the US).

There is a cost associated with the service. I use CloudFront for one of my websites. It is fairly reasonable. Last month my websites had 2.5 million images download for a total of 49GB of data transferred. This costs about $9USD. 65% of my traffic is overseas, so I pay a little premium for worldwide coverage.

It would also be an easy implementation since you would just have to change out domain names with all of your current image urls.

jeff
        Last edited by jcocking; 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM.
        Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

DownloadThemAll worked GREAT!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Comment

Glad to help!
            Chris
            TC Life Safety
            TC Wireless

Comment

Working...
            X