Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicating the Manufacturer Dropdown for a different field

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to create a simple dropdown filter that functions as the manufacturer widget/dropdown does. I sell mobile accessories and would like customers to simply select their phone/tablet from a dropdown and display all the accessories for that phone (The manufacturer dropdown works in exactly that way)

I have looked at the code on from frame.html and it appears this is the main call from the manufacturer list:

<a href="search_groups.asp?manf=[mfgid]" class="subcat">[manufacturer]</a>

Any ideas on how I can easily update this to use the same call to search_groups but for another field, e.g. extra_field_1?

This is my first post but I have been working on my site for some time now and am hoping to officially launch soon. The forums have definitely been a great help.

Thanks
    Last edited by globalguava; 10-04-2012, 10:35 PM.

I worked more on this option last night till the wee hours with no success. I am hoping someone out there may be able to help or point me in the right direction.
    I basically just need to duplicate the manufacturer widget but replace the "[manufacturer]" with the "phone name" which is stored in extra_field_4.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this would be a huge feature lacking from my site.

Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think this is possible to do. Manufacturer is the only field they have set up to generate a list of values in this way.

You would need to manually create a list of values in the HTML. The disadvantage there is that it would not update itself with what is available in your product database. But if your list is manageable, from there it would be easy enough to make it so that it triggers a search for that string.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
        Unfortunately I don't think this is possible to do. Manufacturer is the only field they have set up to generate a list of values in this way.

You would need to manually create a list of values in the HTML. The disadvantage there is that it would not update itself with what is available in your product database. But if your list is manageable, from there it would be easy enough to make it so that it triggers a search for that string.
        Thanks for the response cbsteven. I really thought I may have been able to do that.

The list will be pretty long as I was trying to populate it with cell phone models and have it display all the accessories for the one the customer selects.

If I make a short list of only key phones how would I structure this manual list to generate the accessories for the selected one? I am guessing something like:

<a href="search.asp?keyword=iPhone5">iPhone 5</a>

Any idea how can I force it to only search in "extra_field_4", which is where I am storing the phone names, so it does not search all the fields like the main search would?

Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately you hit the other problem - there is no way to force it to search in just a particular field. It would pull up anything with 'Iphone5' in the text.

Comment

Unfortunately you hit the other problem - there is no way to force it to search in just a particular field. It would pull up anything with 'Iphone5' in the text.
            cbsteven,

I am stuck now...I am guessing I may have to get someone to custom code this if they can even access all the variables.

Do you think there may be any other way to work around this? I have seen this functionality on several sites that sell accessories and I think it would be a huge deal breaker for me not to have this for a customer.

I noticed there was a thread from 2010 requesting to search on a single field. Anyone know if this was ever implemented?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
            Last edited by globalguava; 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

New Plug-In

If I'm reading your needs correctly, you may find what you need with a new 3D plugin. It is called Advanced Category Filters Add-on. The 3D sales staff should be able to tell you if this new add-on will achieve the results you desire.
              Last edited by 3dcart-Henry; 07-10-2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by celebra1 View Post
                If I'm reading your needs correctly, you may find what you need with a new 3D plugin. It is called Advanced Category Filters Add-on. The 3D sales staff should be able to tell you if this new add-on will achieve the results you desire.
                Thanks celebra1,

I was directed to that plugin by the support team. I have been trying to figure out how I would implement it for my particular situation and I just haven't been able to. I will call the sales staff and try to explain further so I can see if it works for me.

I have also only a bit hesitant to do so based on the cost since I have not started selling any product yet and the costs have been building up of course. I know you have to spend to gain so I may just need to buy it and run!

Thanks for your time.
                Last edited by 3dcart-Henry; 07-10-2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

The Advanced Search plugin is actually built/operated by Fusionbot. 3dCart ran a webinar about it a month or so ago which you can view here: https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...wsItem/View/50

It might work for you with a little tweaking. After watching the webinar, I discussed this with John Sortino at Fusionbot and he was really helpful -- they are completely willing to work with you to get this set up in a way that will meet your specific needs. I'd recommend contacting Fusionbot directly as they will be able to help you way more than 3dCart Support can. Site Search Customer Support Center

--mimib

Comment

Filter Plug-in

I have installed this plug-in for another 3D store. You enable it in Settings and in each category/subcategory you want it to apply to. It is NOT hard to set up. It will require some experimentation. It does have different (3) layouts for you to choose from. There is no need to contact outside help. Just follow the directions! The plug-in will require a time element is assigning each product to the filtered variable as well as the time setting it up. Outside of that, if your product offerings are extensive, you will need this.

I would recommend this to anyone needing an advanced sort function.

Comment

Thank you both for your responses! I will look further into both of these options to see which one will work better for me. The Advanced Search plugin has monthly cost associated with it (starting at $60) so that will need to be taken into consideration.

If I went the advanced category filters route, in your opinions, what would be the better setup:

1) keep my current accessory categories (cases, batteries, headsets, etc) as the top level then add a filters for phone brand and model as subcategory?

2) start with the phone brand --> model --> accessory category (cases, batteries, headsets, etc)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks.

Comment

There is one other type of workaround thing you could do, which would be to use an additional extra field with the phone model and give it a unique text code. So the dropdown menu selection might say iPhone 5, but the value that is actually searched for in the database is, say, "ModelMatch5 iPhone5". It would still do a full search on every field, but since that string is fairly unique it would only find those results. Is that clear?

Comment

There is one other type of workaround thing you could do, which would be to use an additional extra field with the phone model and give it a unique text code. So the dropdown menu selection might say iPhone 5, but the value that is actually searched for in the database is, say, "ModelMatch5 iPhone5". It would still do a full search on every field, but since that string is fairly unique it would only find those results. Is that clear?

cbsteven,

I definitely sounds like it could work! I am testing it out right now and will let you know what I come up with. This is be great if it worked out!

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X