Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know what utilities.js is used for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know what utilities.js is used for?

Hi All,

Does anybody know what utilities.js is used for exactly? I found on the forums a mention that it's used during checkout for the CCV, but other then that I'm not sure exactly what it does.

I'm working on cleaning up the code on our site to speed things up (next step, remove all the tables). If this is not used site wide and only during checkout I'd love to remove it and only use it then.

I believe it is just used on the checkout, login, and registration pages. Any place where there is form input validation going on.

The only other place it might be used is the product pages, which would be easy enough to test to see if they still function without it.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
      I believe it is just used on the checkout, login, and registration pages. Any place where there is form input validation going on.

The only other place it might be used is the product pages, which would be easy enough to test to see if they still function without it.
      Jimmy said the same thing pretty much

"It's used mainly on checkout, I believe the Registration page and the Update Info page inside my account use some of the validators. There is also one function used to be validate emails submitted to the mailing list, so only needed if you have a mailing list box in your frame."

I think we are going to simply remove it then add it to those pages. Won't be a huge difference but we are trying to go from around a 3sec average to low 2's.

Comment

I'd be interested to see the page load difference with just that JS removed. It probably won't be too much, especially because it will be cached the first time it is loaded by the user and then won't need to be reloaded instead.

Comment

BTW, If you haven't already definitely recommend the Google analysis tool for page load speed:
          https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
            I'd be interested to see the page load difference with just that JS removed. It probably won't be too much, especially because it will be cached the first time it is loaded by the user and then won't need to be reloaded instead.
            It's not just this, we are redoing the overall code on the site and this is just a small small part of it.

Honestly most of the stuff we are doing is small, but it hopefully will all add up in the end.

I actually think a bigger result in terms of speed would be to figure out how to get things like our badges to load quicker and the facebook code.

Comment

Working...
            X