Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamic Top Navigation - 3 levels deep, possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic Top Navigation - 3 levels deep, possible?

This has been kind of a headache and nobody seems to have an answer. Hopefully someone can help me out here.
    All I need is for it to go ONE level farther than default, dynamically. Whether that involves paying to have it enabled or what, I don't care, I just want to know if this is even possible.

Take a look at my site now:
    Welcome to AdrenalineMoto | Adrenaline Motorsports - For the rider.

That simple drop down is fully dynamic up to 2 levels.
    It uses the code blocks:
    <!--START: CATEGORIES-->
    <!--START: CATEGORY_FORMAT-->
    <!--START: SUB_CATEGORY_FORMAT-->

It is perfect EXCEPT that it only goes down 2 levels like so:
    (LEVEL 1 CATEGORY) Motorcycle Helmets > (LEVEL 2 CATEGORY) By Brand

I've made a simple menu example of what I need here:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53681553/ME...blue/blue.html

The ONLY difference between the current one on my site and the example above is that it is 3 levels deep into the categories, rather than 2, like so:
    (LEVEL 1 CATEGORY) Motorcycle Helmets > (LEVEL 2 CATEGORY) By Brand > (LEVEL 3 CATEGORY) Brand (AFX Helmets in this instance)

I would rather customers not have to click through a bunch of pages and links to get to where they need.

It seems like this is a pretty basic feature. Is it in anyway, possible? Am I just dumb and missed something or do I have to pay 3dCart to enable the code blocks or whatever enables deeper category callback. I know it's gotta be possible, just take a look at your category index page.
    Last edited by adrenaline.moto; 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM. Reason: details

I definitely do not assume that this is possible. They had to create those blocks specifically to enable two-category-depth displays, and I have never heard anything about there being other blocks for a depth of three. As far as I know, this is not possible without custom programming.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
      I definitely do not assume that this is possible. They had to create those blocks specifically to enable two-category-depth displays, and I have never heard anything about there being other blocks for a depth of three. As far as I know, this is not possible without custom programming.
      Not even when paying 3dCart to do the drop down? It just seems like such a simple thing, but I've been stuck on it for weeks.

Another idea I have is to just bypass one of the category levels and go straight from Level 1 to Level 3 kind of like so:

(LEVEL 1 CATEGORY) Motorcycle Helmets > SKIP LEVEL 2, input those myself > (LEVEL 3 CATEGORY) Brand ex. AFX Helmets
      Then I could input the Level 2 categories of "By Brand" "By Type" etc. myself since those won't really change and don't really need to be dynamic.

Anyone know if that is possible?
      Start from level 1 categories with <!--START: CATEGORIES-->
      and then skip a level and have the subcategory of level 2 (theoretically level 3) shown with <!--START: SUB_CATEGORY_FORMAT-->
      Last edited by adrenaline.moto; 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

No, I do not think it is possible. The dropdown menu HTML is totally different than the code blocks that pull in the subcategory data. They only have code blocks for the second level. Going to the third level, or skipping the second level, would be a non-standard/customized one.

Comment

Ref:Dynamic Top Navigation Drop Menu - 3 levels deep, possible?

Hello Everyone,

3dcart offers a Dynamic Drop-Down Menus integration. It was actually implemented for the following web site Bluebird Landing: Backyard Birds, Outdoor Living, Home & Garden, Nature Gifts & Decor

You can click on the following Categories Wild Bird Care > Bird Feeders> , and see the 3 Level category or even a 4th level.

Is this what you're looking for?

Thank you,
          Fernando- CCO
          3dcart

Comment

Those are pretty cool. How do we get those?

DaveW

Comment

Originally posted by fernando View Post
              Hello Everyone,

3dcart offers a Dynamic Drop-Down Menus integration. It was actually implemented for the following web site Bluebird Landing: Backyard Birds, Outdoor Living, Home & Garden, Nature Gifts & Decor

You can click on the following Categories Wild Bird Care > Bird Feeders> , and see the 3 Level category or even a 4th level.

Is this what you're looking for?

Thank you,
              Fernando- CCO
              3dcart
              Yeah, in a sense. Would that be able to be implemented as a top navigation bar? Also, I noticed on my phone (Galaxy S3), it was almost impossible to navigate into the menu levels. Is that a dynamic menu?

Comment

Good Morning DaveW

In order to get the Dynamic-Drop-Down menu, you would first need to speak to of our Sales Representatives so we can provide you with a quote and see if there any promo's available for this product. We would then assign a Project Manager to your request and ask you a few questions prior to us implementing the Dynamic-Drop-Down menu feature. Would you like for one of our Sales Representative to contact you with further details?

Thank you,
                Fernando- CCO
                3dcart

Comment

Dynamic vs DIY

I recently explored the dynamic add-on as an option and unfortunately it didn't work for our needs (which were quite unusual to be fair). However, we dug into it enough to figure out that the way it works is to put a script in the frame that calls a menu.asp file, which contains the actual menu (not sure where the styling comes from).

We ended up creating a custom CSS menu for our needs (as well as another new site). I think that approach works fine when you don't really need the "dynamic" element of the add-on... i.e., when your category structure stays relatively fixed. For many businesses, I would expect that that structure is pretty static.

To make it a little easier on ourselves, we a little money on an application to do that: DHTML Javascript Menu. Deluxe Menu. v4.1

You can do lots of crazy stuff if you want to use a javascript menu, but with CSS, it was really just tweaking some design elements and then pasting a block into my CSS and frame files. I could always maintain from there if I need to add or deactivate a category... or keep updating the project file in the desktop app and paste back in. If you want to see a simple sample on a store currently being built out, see Welcome to U.S. Figure Skating Shop - Powered by Main Event Merchandise Group

This one only goes two levels deep, but it could be infinite (or link to non-category pages).

Comment

do you remember if they passed any params into menu.asp? any details about the url would be great. I'd love to dig into this a bit if theres anything there.

Comment

Working...
                    X