HTML Editors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTML Editors

The HTML editing tool I have historically used does not work with 3dcart. (The HTML editor does not support FTPS explicit.)

Looking for recommendations on a good HTML/CSS editor that works with 3dcart.

What do you use?
    How well does it edit HTML/CSS/Javascript?
    Free or paid?
    Does it work with git/svn?

thank you in advance.

jeff
    Jeff

The Wedding Printer

The only editor I've found that successfully accepts 3dcart's certificate for save on upload is dreamweaver. Its kinda "meh" to me. I used dreamweaver for a long time when I was learning to code (never the visual editor - just code view, but also found that to be lacking in a lot of ways)

I went the sublime text 2 route. It's no ide but it puts most of them to shame if you know what you are doing. Watch some tutorials, lay down a tarp. When it blows your mind you don't want to make a mess.

Best part - its $59. Good luck matching that anywhere else.

Webstorm/phpstorm is a good runner up if you are more of an ide fellow It has GREAT syntax highlighting, support for everything you can imagine, and some very flexible views and project options. Just make sure you dont do anything outside of the scope of html/css/js/(php with phpstorm) because they arent very flexible. It's a good product if thats your project scope.

For an "automated" upload (i run a mac - so its prob a lil different if you dont) i use yummy ftp watcher 2. point it to a folder, set it to watch for changes and upload on trigger. It works pretty well.

There is a program for windows (cant recall the name) that does the same thing.

PM me if you have any more specific questions. As for svn and git, I know there are integrations with them, just haven't used them personally. I'm just getting into using version control and have always done it locally on my machine. Call it a very bad habit.

Hope this helped!

-James

Comment

James,

thank you for your reply. I also just hand code on the local and migrate to the server. Bad habits die slowly. I am just starting with 3dcart and wanted to figure out a better way to migrate code to the server versus editing the live version.

Perfect world:

1. edit live on a test version of 3dcart (nano version works well).
      2. When stable and thoroughly tested, point a version control software to look at the files and determine changes and migrate to production version (larger 3dcart version)
      3. Have the ability to load version control software version back to test.

Most version control systems need the ability to install software on the server. I have the feeling 3dcart would not allow that.
      Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Perfect is not often used to describe the real world, and here is no different. From what I was told, there is no sandbox mode. You must design on a live site somewhere. They recommend to do what you are doing now and get a mini (or now nano) plan for a short term to do all your designing on. Once it's done, swap the template files over. It's pretty easy to keep the file structure on your local machine and switch them at will, so really a version control service isn't that much of a benefit here. Most of your code will have to go through your local machine anyway unless you want to use the plain text editor they have built into the admin panel.

And as to your last statement, unless they decide to support vc on their own, you'll never have access to their servers to install anything. Part of the PCI compliance, and general security, and protecting their proprietary software etc etc.

Good luck on 3dcart if you are new to it. The forums have a pretty good support group going. Watch out for that cbsteven fellow.. he's nothin but trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by jleclair View Post
          Watch out for that cbsteven fellow.. he's nothin but trouble!
          Forum Baiting. cbsteven must be out Christmas Shopping.

It looks like cbsteven, elegantweddings and yourself are major contributors for custom designs. I hope to learn from ya'll.

I know how much I customized my current shopping cart (oscommerce), I figure I will be pushing the envelope. In fact already looking at work arounds for few of 3dcart limits.

jeff
          Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Originally posted by jleclair View Post

Good luck on 3dcart if you are new to it. The forums have a pretty good support group going. Watch out for that cbsteven fellow.. he's nothin but trouble!
            There's that bat signal again ;)

Comment

Working...
            X