What is best width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best width

What is best website width you think? i use 1000 pixel and that proble very hard for a 800x600 to navigate but personally i think if its under 1000 pixel its look cheap.

My site is 900w, and it works well. Depends on the skill of your designer. Anything can be made to look like a million or horribly horribly wrong...

B.

Comment

After tweaking with my store (not live yet) I've found 1000 px to be ideal. I think it looks best and fits my products/logos/info better.

Comment

first it is important to know your audience and make an executive decision based on that. if you have many visitors with 800x600 screen resolution, then you should definitely go smaller, but this is unlikely.

here is a good article
        http://webdesign.about.com/od/webdesign/a/aa080904.htm

Every Web browser has a scrollbar, and borders on the sides that shrink the available space from 800 to around 740 pixels or less on 800x600 resolutions and around 980 pixels on 1024x768 resolutions.

Comment

Excellent question. I'm getting ready to live and I think the narrow screens look less than optimal.

If you choose a percentage rather than a set pixel size - won't it ALWAYS fit on the customer's screen?? I'm not clear on how that works.
          C Ekman
          Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
          http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

Every Web browser has a scrollbar, and borders on the sides that shrink the available space from 800 to around 740 pixels or less on 800x600 resolutions and around 980 pixels on 1024x768 resolutions.
            Yep, at 1000 wide our site showed scroll bars on true 1024X768 monitor. After much messing around I found that 980 was the sweet spot to remove the scroll bar.

Comment

Can you tell me where I can specify the pixels? I would like to be around the 980 as well - but can't figure out where to put this in (the header footer option is limited). Thanks,
              J-Lynn

Comment

I made the change in the frame.html file. Just set the main table that holds everything to 980 wide. I guess the exact location would depend on your frame design and there may be a better place to set this, but it worked for me.

Comment

Just go to

Settings -> Design -> Header and Footer

Toward the very top of the screen there is a box for screen width. You can set it to specific pixels or to a percentage. (Store Screen Space)

I would like to know if anyone has tried the percentages options yet?
                  C Ekman
                  Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
                  http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

The header/footer is where I'd been changing it, but there's nothing between the 780 and 1,000 for options. Although I think most people have a wider screen these days - there are still some dinosaurs out there:D (when our flat screen desktop monitor died...we had to bring out our old one which is the smaller screen resolution) - the only plus to it, is I get to see how the site looks in both resolutions (desktop & laptop).

When I manually change the width in the frame.html in template/layout 5...it's changing spacing and dropping indents in the left product bar, and also throwing off the space on browse by price/manufacturer and search options (must be other places/templates to manually change widths). Anyways - sticking with "screenwidth" option and just using what's offered in the drop down :) - thanks for your help though.
                    J-Lynn
                    Last edited by JLynn; 04-01-2008, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JLynn View Post
                      The header/footer is where I'd been changing it, but there's nothing between the 780 and 1,000 for options.
                      go to your template's frame.html and look for this code near the top:
                      Code:
                      <table width="[screenwidth]" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
                      replace [screenwidth] with 980 to give you something like this:

Code:
                      <table width="980" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
                      and thats it!

Also...if I utilize the percentage option, it shows differently on both resolutions and since I have a set width for my top banner, it tends to throw that off. So that's why I'm trying to set the overall screen width so I don't have that issue.
                      I would not use the percentage width...if you do, then you cannot control the layout. for example, someone with a very widescreen monitor would have everything stretched out to fill the entire width
                      Last edited by bristweb; 04-01-2008, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Thank you - and you saved a few hairs on my head that I was about to pull out...:D
                        Sometimes I think things should be more complicated and miss the obvious! Do you know which template I can change the screenwidth for the Browse by Price, Manufacturer and Search? Same template?
                        Last edited by JLynn; 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Do you know which template I can change the screenwidth for the Browse by Price, Manufacturer and Search? Same template?
                          if you change the width of your frame.html, it affects all pages of your website. of course if you have really big images or other problems in the layout of your other pages it could force it to stretch wider.

Comment

Originally posted by cekman View Post
                            Just go to

Settings -> Design -> Header and Footer

Toward the very top of the screen there is a box for screen width. You can set it to specific pixels or to a percentage. (Store Screen Space)

I would like to know if anyone has tried the percentages options yet?
                            When I was making the change those settings seemed to be ineffective since the width was hard-coded in to the frame file. I ended up having to change it in frame.html to get it to work. I guess it would depend on how a site is set up.

Comment

GRRRR not working

I tried this, and it's still not working

it used to say

<!--END: quicksearch-->
                              </head><body>
                              <center>
                              <table width="[screenwidth]" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
                              <tr>
                              <td colspan="3"><table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
                              <!--start header-->

but now it says

<!--END: quicksearch-->
                              </head><body>
                              <center>
                              <table width="980" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
                              <tr>
                              <td colspan="3"><table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
                              <!--start header-->

I've been looking for hours trying to figure out how to get the main part of my page to fit on my screen.

We have 2 sites, and the first site is set up fine. I've tried to copy everything, but I'm obviously missing something important.

Welcome to Bomber Telemark Bindings -

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X