Add to cart error as a pop-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add to cart error as a pop-up

Has anyone looked into whether it's possible to make some sort of javascript popup for the add to cart error? It seems like this would be superior to the current set up in which customers are directed to another page and have to hit a link to return when they forget to choose a required option when they add an item to the cart.

Second that.

Comment

as of right now its not possible to do that. the error (usually for an item out of stock or an incorrect combination of advanced options) is only generated once validation is run server side.

The thing you want to really do to avoid the add to cart issue is think about why it would be an error in the first place. Is an option out of stock? there's a way to use javascript to depict that and stop the user from choosing that option in the first place. Blocking the user from making the wrong choice is pretty much your best shot at avoiding the errors all together.

Comment

That makes sense. So, the reason for the error is that the customer doesn't choose a option from the dropdown menu which has been marked as required on the admin. Any thoughts?

Comment

For all my options, I always mark one as selected so that they cannot NOT choose an option.
          Joanne Barker
          VS Web Design
          [email protected]

Comment

If I can't find a javascript solution, I'll definitely do that. I'd prefer the javascript because I'm a bit afraid that people will add the wrong option and fail to notice it.

Comment

I would love to see something like this. I am not a fan at all of having the redirect to a new page in order to let a customer know that a (required) option was not selected.

Most websites that I shop on have a pop-up, highlight on the section that I'm missing, etc. when a required field/option is not selected.

I'm also not a big fan of having a "pre-selected" option already chosen, because I agree that many customers may fail to realize that they should have chosen an option that best suits them (especially when we're talking about product color options!).

If anyone ever thinks of a work-around for implementing something better than the current way, I'm definitely all ears!

-James

Comment

how about a fancy tooltip on the "add to cart" button to remind the customer to check options etc.

Comment

anyone have thoughts on how we might do something like amazon's done?

Amazon.com: Doublju Men's Short Sleeve Henley Shirts in 2 Styles: Clothing

Comment

Wow, something like that would be AWESOME!

My main problem is that I am not good with coding...I would kind of need someone proficient in JavaScript (or whatever method would be used to achieve something like that) to "write out the code".

If ANYONE has an idea, it would be much appreciated! For elightbox, I appreciate the suggestion, but I can't count on a customer to "click" the tooltip (I have tooltips on some products, and it's amazing how many times it's not clicked and a customer calls asking about the information that is contained in the tooltip). I think I need something more direct.

-James

Comment

Code:
                      but I can't count on a customer to "click" the tooltip
                      Tooltips can be activated on hover too. Check this out qTip2 - Pretty powerful tooltips

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                        Tooltips can be activated on hover too. Check this out qTip2 - Pretty powerful tooltips
                        Thanks for this link elightbox. Looks like a great tool.
                        Chris
                        TC Life Safety
                        TC Wireless

Comment

Please let me know if you ever get this working.

Comment

Will do.

(extra characters so this posts)
                            Chris
                            TC Life Safety
                            TC Wireless

Comment

Working...
                            X