Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make Responsive tables?

Hi all!

So tables weren't that big of an issue with our old non-responsive store, but of course they carry over into the new Responsive template, and it makes for some ugly looking stuff on small screens.

I know some of y'all are really great with coding and whatnot, any step-by-step (as simplified as humanely possible, I don't know what a jQuery or something like that even means) instructions for creating a "responsive table"?

Some websites that I've looked at seem to do the trick, but are written & explained in a manner that's a bit advanced for me. I only have relatively basic (to medium at best) HTML skills, and not really any CSS skills to speak of.

Thanks in advance!
    -James

The point of moving to responsive design is to get away from tables, which are code-heavy. Learn to code with divs and spans and learn how to use/read your stylesheet. Go to this site to learn: http://www.w3schools.com/ The W3C sets the internet standards. Actually, tables were first recommended to be removed back in 2005 and the goal was to have tables eliminated/obsolete by 2008. Everyone had a 7 year "grace period". Coding with <div> and <span> tags is really much easier and faster. It is time to learn and W3C is the place to learn it.

Comment

Originally posted by celebra1 View Post
      The point of moving to responsive design is to get away from tables, which are code-heavy. Learn to code with divs and spans and learn how to use/read your stylesheet. Go to this site to learn: http://www.w3schools.com/ The W3C sets the internet standards. Actually, tables were first recommended to be removed back in 2005 and the goal was to have tables eliminated/obsolete by 2008. Everyone had a 7 year "grace period". Coding with <div> and <span> tags is really much easier and faster. It is time to learn and W3C is the place to learn it.
      You're talking about using tables as the structure for a whole website. Sometimes you need tables for data such as size charts or comparisons. There are a lot of discussions and solutions on the internet regarding this and they aren't one-size fits all.

http://exisweb.net/responsive-table-...s-and-patterns

Comment

bzeltzer yes you are correct, I was not clear about that, but I did mean a data table within a page (not an entire site coded as tables). I appreciate the link, and thanks to celebra1 for the w3shools link as well!

Much appreciated.

-James

Comment

Alright y'all, I've found that I just suck at CSS. I can't figure this out. Anyone here have a PayPal account and looking to make $50 for providing me with the basic framework that I would need for a responsive table?

I wouldn't need the entire table done for me, as with my basic HTML knowledge I'm pretty sure I can insert the wording & images that I want (though I may just need some instruction as to how to continue adding to the table).

PM me if interested.

Thanks in advance!
          -James

Comment

To make this entire site responsive, do we need to change the code for every image we have uploaded on our site? If so, can we just put the img code needed in the frame?

Comment

Working...
            X