How are you handling Cache issues with New Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you handling Cache issues with New Designs

With lots of us re-designing our sites to responsive html5 templates,and make lots of new changes, Cache needs to be constantly cleared to get the new changes.

Without clearing the Cache, things are sometimes a mess on the screen, or at the very least not optimal.

So, are there special tricks, or tips to clear the cache in the customers' browser?, do you put a notice up? or do we just say, their cache will clear itself at some point.

Using version based filenames for the changed CSS files then altering the references & theme settings to point to the newest version, you can make the users' browsers download the most recent CSS changes. besides that, just click "clear cache" in the 3dcart settings.

Comment

Simple enough. Trying to complicate it too much.

Comment

I also find that if I copy and paste my code directly into the template editor (using the 3dcart Admin panel instead of uploading via FTP) that the template or stylesheet in question caches automatically.
        Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

Comment

Alternatively, don't make live changes to your store's categories. Create a hidden content page (which doesn't get cached) to test your code changes and view them in real time. Then paste the finished code into your categories once, instead of editing the category over and over.
          - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

We actually I use a development site where I test all the changes, then just move the affected files over.
            Even with versioning the CSS, sometimes you still need the customer to clear the Cache. I have not found a good solution.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
              We actually I use a development site where I test all the changes, then just move the affected files over.
              Even with versioning the CSS, sometimes you still need the customer to clear the Cache. I have not found a good solution.
              How do you have a development site? I am looking to switch over to a responsive template, but want to sandbox it so I can figure out what modifications need to be made. I'd prefer not to do this on a live site.

Comment

You can sign up for a micro plan, 9.95 a month. I actually upgraded to the 19.95/month plan so I can have more products to see the new design better.
                I exported the categories, and some of the products and imported them into the Dev site. I just copied and pasted the Extra pages and moved the template via FTP.

3dcart also has a service, where they will clone your site for $99 into another plan. I just did it the hard way.

Comment

oh - so you are paying for another site. I was kind of hoping that there was some setting I may have missed. Oh well.

Comment

In the grand scheme of things, it is a trivial amount that you pay to save you and your customers much angst. $120 for a whole year would be covered by one or two lost sales.

Comment

I've used the "30 Day Free Trial" to experiment with changes, but you don't get FTP access (among other things). However, the next time I make any major changes I'm going to get another site as elightbox suggested.
                      Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

Comment

Working...
                      X