Handling out of stock items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling out of stock items

I'm wondering how others handle out of stock items. For products with options, I had jleclair from these forums modify my cart to show a "Sold Out" status next to the option description in the dropdown box. This works great and have no problems with people recognizing a product is out of stock when it is ordered. Where I seem to be running into problems is with "standard" products (ie. no options). I have the availability shown right above the quantity and add to cart button, but customers keep missing this and complain that they didn't know the item was out of stock when they placed the order.

So, I'm wondering what others do to make this more noticeable. Part of me says it doesn't matter what we do, some people just won't pay attention. With the number of questions we have been fielding lately, though, it makes me think something from a design standpoint needs to be changed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

try enabling inventory control -> http://screencast.com/t/ZijEAWwbA then what you get is this ->http://screencast.com/t/JOTReac74 when the item comes back into stock use the waitlist feature -> http://screencast.com/t/dcgNvASX

Comment

Originally posted by jnnjr View Post
      I'm wondering how others handle out of stock items. For products with options, I had jleclair from these forums modify my cart to show a "Sold Out" status next to the option description in the dropdown box. This works great and have no problems with people recognizing a product is out of stock when it is ordered. Where I seem to be running into problems is with "standard" products (ie. no options). I have the availability shown right above the quantity and add to cart button, but customers keep missing this and complain that they didn't know the item was out of stock when they placed the order.

So, I'm wondering what others do to make this more noticeable. Part of me says it doesn't matter what we do, some people just won't pay attention. With the number of questions we have been fielding lately, though, it makes me think something from a design standpoint needs to be changed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I totally agree with you -- this is one area that 3d needs to improve -- the ability to increase the font size or color of "out of stock" to make it more visible. There is a KB article on how to add a message that says the item is out of stock that you can customize and it works well IF -- and that's a big IF -- you only handle one type of item - i.e., you allow back order on ALL items or you don't drop ship -- the message gets confusing when you have items that are drop shipped or otherwise don't have an inventory level.

Ideally there should be some sort of message that pops up in the Quick Cart that says an item is being backordered. I made a suggestion about this, but 3d said that it wasn't necessary since they offer the "out of stock" script mentioned in the KB article.
      Joe Arbogast
      http://www.birdsafestore.com

Comment

My problem with the "Waiting List" is that customers cannot Backorder the product. It is "either / or"
        Where we use the waiting list, customers do use it quite a bit, however we also get tons of back orders on sold-out items where we offer back orders.

I would love to give the customer the option to either Back Order, or Wait List the item. I made a User Voice request for this, but I am not holding my breath.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback.

windycityparrot , we allow backorders because most of the time, items are only a day or 2 from being back in stock (and some items are special order so they are always "out of stock") so I would rather have people place an order with us knowing the order may take a few days to ship than given them time to rethink the order or place it someplace else. The problem right now is that they don't seem to know the item is out of stock even though it says so.

I agree with elightbox about being able to backorder OR waitlist an item (even if for the time being the waitlist was only done through the backend admin). Birdsafe in my old cart, I programmed the sold out message to show up red and a size larger than the regular font so there was no missing it (and even had it pull a date that I supplied for when it will be back in-stock). It worked great, but I had to get rid of that cart. I'll have to check out that KB article, though, since I allow backorders on all items and I don't drop ship.

Right now, I'll take anything - either a popup or some other way to draw attention to the out of stock message since having it the same size/color as the rest of the text doesn't work (and I don't think we need a big red "Yes, this item is in stock" message).

Comment

elightbox can you link that User Voice request?

We put products on our site as soon as they're announced. Taking preorders is great, but sometimes availability will be 6 months + out. If we create a waitlist, then they can't be moved over to preorders later when the product is closer to arriving.

Lastly, and most importantly, Google Product Listing Ads require an "availability" and don't consider the waitlist to be a true "preorder." I've had items flagged because of it. I would really like to offer both options. "Preorder" or "Notify Me When In Stock" (which is pretty much what the waitlist's function is).
            Last edited by TMS Clint; 11-16-2015, 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
            Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

Comment

TMS Clint http://3dcart.uservoice.com/forums/7...t-to-be-offere
              It already has five votes. Let's keep'm coming.

Comment

jnnjr Please vote: http://3dcart.uservoice.com/forums/7...t-to-be-offere

Comment

Working...
                X