Customizing your Template colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customizing your Template colors

This is just FYI for those of you working in IE and want to customize your template colors but are having problems...

When I was customizing my template colors, only the basic color box was available for me (when you click on "more colors", the secondary box full of additional shades of colors comes up - but if you have IE, it only updates to black no matter what color you pick :eek: - I was told by support that this is a known bug.

The obvious solution was to switch to Firefox browser - but since I didn't want to do this, I checked the Visibone Color Chart (from websitetips) for the color code number and manually input it on the secondary screen (the one that comes up when you click more color options). This worked great - updated the colors on the template (and also updates the color box on the secondary screen after you refresh.

I'm sure for those of you that have a ton of experience, you know this - but those of you that are newbies and rusty with all the codes and things...hopefully it will help you out :)

why wouldn't you want to switch to firefox?

Comment

yeah, I do pretty much 100% of my site through Firefox (not including FTP) and then check it in other browsers. Firefox is far from perfect, but I prefer it much more than IE.

Comment

Ditto, FF is much faster than IE and the plugins make it incredibly powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by DCG View Post
          Firefox is far from perfect
          BLASPHEMY!

Comment

Originally posted by bristweb View Post
            why wouldn't you want to switch to firefox?
            Since I'm good with working in virtually any program, but not so good with the technical aspects (including being html challenged since the last programming I took was too many years ago to mention...)...I'm SCARED :eek: of really screwing up something up on my laptop (Gateway/Vista) or my Desktop (not that old, but compared to today - a slightly young dinosaur). I've also read where some programs that are running through Windows/Vista are not compatible (Java, Media Player & IM).

The down side is that working in IE has caused me some issues that either take a lot of time researching to fix, or causes me not to be able to edit templates properly (e.g. something simple like removing the >> on the left menu bar or making any minor change within that frame template, causes all the indents/spacing to go left align - if anyone could share how to properly edit the frame template in IE, feel free to share - I think I've been blacklisted in Support due to my many support tickets containing 10+ questions - either that or they are attending the Sainthood Nomination ceremony for having to deal with me). And after reading a few of the tutorials from the Support area (which are the PDF downloads which I just open - not save), I wound up having to do a system restore and re-install IE, because they shut down. I've been told that IE is one of the most used & common browsers, so I'm a little leary to switch to anything else for fear that one of the other programs I have, won't work. Not sure if these are unfounded concerns, or if maybe I just need to read more up on Firefox - I just wasn't expecting any of these little issues when I signed up - thought everything would work well with IE browser. Can you have both browsers on the same computer and toggle between? That may be a stupid question - but hopefully you can forgive the technically challenged ;)...

And although I congratulate myself for uploading a gif image and pdf file (color chart) to the FTP files (even though I had to research how to get to the FTP files going through Windows Vista - coming in through the root)...I almost had a stroke doing it (this should give you some idea to my comfort level with working out of the boxed realm of 3DCart program LOL). I've certainly learned a lot in the last month - but I still have a lot more to learn! Anyways - if you want to enlighten me, feel free :)
            Last edited by JLynn; 04-03-2008, 10:47 AM.

Comment

you might find this article interesting

http://www.bristleconeweb.com/blog/i...-explorer.html

Comment

Thanks - very interesting reading indeed :) . While I was doing some more searching, I found additional group chats as well with even more opinions and lots of things to consider.

From what I'm gathering - there are pros/cons for both sides - but for me, I still have too many worries about the compatability issues with Vista (Java & Media Player included) if I were to switch to FF. Even Firefox had a long list of things that may not work, and suggestions on how you might fix them if you're on Vista...but maybe as they make improvements to both, the list will get smaller and I may feel better about making a switch -feel free to share if you come across anything else though!
                Thanks
                Last edited by JLynn; 04-04-2008, 11:39 PM.

Comment

From a design perspective - Part of the problem for me is that over 75% of my visitors use Internet Explorer - so I find myself designing my site to look best in Internet Explorer, which means that I stay in Internet Explorer for most everything. My site looks slightly different in Firefox (i.e. borders not showing up correctly on things, extra spacing added in a few cells, etc...).

Perhaps I'm missing the point entirely, but do those of you who use Firefox have a harder time ensuring that your site looks good in Internet Explorer?

I must say though that Bristweb's blog was very interesting and I have found many of the things mentioned to be my experience.

Comment

switching your web browser isn't like buying a new car. its more like trying a new toothpaste. try it, see if you like it...if you don't, you can switch back just as easily.

I still have too many worries about the compatability issues with Vista (Java & Media Player included) if I were to switch to FF. Even Firefox had a long list of things that may not work
                    the fact that you are worried about performance on vista doesn't surprise me. driver problems, performance problems, confusing interface, like 20 different licenses to pick from....everyone's complaining about vista, i'm glad i downgraded! it turns out many people are downgrading their systems from vista to xp: http://www.eetasia.com/ART_880050531...P_52fdda11.HTM

Part of the problem for me is that over 75% of my visitors use Internet Explorer - so I find myself designing my site to look best in Internet Explorer, which means that I stay in Internet Explorer for most everything.
                    so 75% of your users are internet explorer? but did you know that changes between IE6 and IE7 will also cause your website to look different between IE versions? Also, Apple's safari browser has been gaining popularity, are you testing for them too? Take a look at these browser statistics:
                    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

You really need to be checking your site in each of the following:
                    IE6
                    IE7
                    Firefox
                    Safari

With firefox, it is easier to check! just install this addon into firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
                    and you can switch between ie and firefox in one click.

you can also check safari in windows now: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

and if you're wondering how to test between IE6 and IE7, yes it is a pain because microsoft only wants you to have one of the two installed! one solution is to use a portable version: http://www.portablefreeware.com/foru...hlight=firefox

call me crazy, but for a company that pulls close to $60 billion a year in revenue to put out such crappy products is incredible. every time i find a replacement for a microsoft product, i always find that i am much less frustrated when i'm on the computer.

don't use internet explorer, use firefox or safari
                    don't use microsoft office, use open office or google docs
                    don't use outlook, use thunderbird or google apps
                    don't use windows media player, use winamp or VLC
                    don't use .wmv or .wma, use .avi and .mp3

and quite honestly, i will no longer buy PC with windows...http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Comment

you can also check safari in windows now: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
                      I wonder if there is a difference in rendering of pages in Safari between Mac and Windows? I am avoiding Safari since Firefox works well for me and I think the fact that they tried to force it on me during an update annoys me.

don't use outlook, use thunderbird or google apps
                      I agree with most of your statements except this one. I cannot find a good replacement that has completely integrated contact management/email/tasks/memos(notes) and also allows for syncing with a Palm or other smart phone. I have heard of a few new open source initiatives that are trying to tackle this, but it will take a while to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by mueller View Post
                        I agree with most of your statements except this one. I cannot find a good replacement that has completely integrated contact management/email/tasks/memos(notes) and also allows for syncing with a Palm or other smart phone. I have heard of a few new open source initiatives that are trying to tackle this, but it will take a while to get there.
                        Have you tried google apps?

Comment

Originally posted by bristweb View Post
                          Have you tried google apps?
                          Yes, I have played with it, but they do not seem to have a completely integrated solution as I mentioned above. For example in Outlook I can look up a contact then find all appointments and/or email addresses associated with them. Basically each google app is well designed, but they are not completely integrated.

More importantly I have not found a good solution that allows me to synch the google info with my Palm, which is critical to me. I have read about a few and tried some of them, but all have serious limitations. Some day.....

Comment

Working...
                          X