Announcement

Collapse

Posting Rules

Posting Rules
This forum was created to help 3dcart users share tips on getting the best out of the service, offer knowledge and experiences about e-commerce in general, and to promote a positive environment in which our merchants can request/dispense advice regarding best practices.

The forum was not created for 3dcart users to submit requests for customer support. Any support related thread will be removed and a support ticket will be placed on your behalf. If you have technical difficulties please visit http://support.3dcart.com.

The 3dcart forum is also not intended to be a medium in which to express dissatisfaction about 3dcart's service, policies or its management and staff. Threads of this nature will also be removed from the forum. If a support issue with your 3dcart store was not resolved in a satisfactory manner; or if you feel that a particular 3dcart offering/policy is not to your liking, please let us know by emailing [email protected] so we can address your concerns directly.

Again, our purpose is to cultivate a positive learning environment for our merchants rather than platform in which to express grievances.

Very Important Rules:
* Never give away your store administration login/password in this forum.

Should you need technical help, please let 3dcart staff help.
Also, please be aware that 3dcart staff will NEVER need to ask for your 3dcart related passwords.

General Rules:
* While debate and discussion are acceptable, we will never tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
* Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) nonsensical posts, or similar postings.
* Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.
* Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.
* We also do not allow posts that are sexual in nature.
* Please wait at least 24 hours before bumping posts.
* Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
* Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.
* We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
* We also reserve the right to remove postings which are in violation of our specified posting rules
* Also, while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
* You cannot post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Such posts will be subject to removal.
* You cannot post advertisements or notices for contests.
* We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our support forums are a privilege and not a right. A banned customer is still entitled to support from the support system, but will not be able to participate in the forum.
See more
See less

Core Themes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core Themes

Anyone using any of the new core themes?
    Thanks, Cam

I saw it on a demo - looks nice, and has some features I've been waiting for.
    - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Originally posted by DeanP View Post
      I saw it on a demo - looks nice, and has some features I've been waiting for.
      Care to elaborate DeanP on "features" on the themes that have been added?

Comment

Sure - what I've wanted most is some functionality that lets visitors see that a product has options when viewing search results or category pages.

Presently everything has an Add to Cart button, which doesn't make sense for products with options. A photo of a red shirt over Add to Cart very clearly states "click this button to add this red shirt to your cart." But what if that product has several color options, how do we signal that?

The best we can do is have 6 different product listings each with a different colored product portrayed in the image, or include text like "5 color options available!" in the product name and hope it doesn't get truncated. Boo! The new core templates will allow us to use Select Options in place of Add to Cart for products like these. Yay! I think it's long overdue.

You can often see Amazon signal options like this too. Or instead, they'll just exclude an Add to Cart button entirely, thus forcing visitors to drill into the product to see what's up.

Here's are some Core template examples:

http://dev-time-demo-com.3dcartstores.com/

http://dev-spring-colors-demo-com.3dcartstores.com/

Something to note: these templates (above) utilize mouseovers, which is slick looking but counterintuitive on two counts:

1) Like, I want to see what products have options at a glance... don't make me mouse over them to find out. I should just need to scroll down the page with the mouse wheel, not mouse around a 1920 pixel wide monitor like I'm playing a first person shooter game. blah.

2) The user experience doesn't change when viewed from a mobile device. Swiping down the screen quickly doesn't reveal anything. Only when you briefly tap and hold on a product do the appropriate buttons show up, and right under your finger.

This sort of thing irks me. Sure, it can be difficult to nail a design that's great on both desktop and mobile, and often times something works really well on one and only just so-so on the other. But this is just bad UX on both. >:( Anyway, I assume not all Core templates will be built in this way. I have high expectations on account of waiting so long for this new theme engine.

Comment

Wondered if any of the themes allow you to separate the Quick Cart from Quick View. I don't like Quick View because shoppers click on it and don't see the full product description, thinking this is the product page and they end up emailing or phoning in questions that are answered in the full description. but if you turn off Quick View, it also turns off Quick Cart, which I want to keep.
          Joe Arbogast
          http://www.birdsafestore.com

Comment

They look good ... are they already available ?

Comment

We just upgraded to a core theme this week, finally retiring our ancient 1st gen static template (layout4). So far, so good.

Comment

onering Do you mind sharing your domain name. Thanks, Cam

Comment

I sent you a PM

Comment

DeanP Hi, can you say a little about what these core templates ARE? I can't find any real information on the website. Is it just new tags and new HTML? or is there something fundamentally different about the way they interact with the backend?

Comment

Having recently started a new subscription with 3dcart, I have decided to use a new core theme (using backpacks core), instead of going backwards. The problem is, I have product options and drop images, that I would like to update the main image when selected. The knowledgebase article https://support.3dcart.com/Knowledge...ticle/view/505 applies to the HTML5 or earlier themes.

I have submitted a support ticket only to be told I need to hire an expert, which is very disappointing, as I believe this should be a standard function.

With my newbie 3dcart knowledge and very rusty programming skills, I have managed to implement the following code, in bold below, in my (modified) listing.js file, within the function validateValues(...)

// IMAGE dropdown's
                      //alert(fieldnamemod + fieldnamemod.indexOf("di_"));
                      if (fieldnamemod.indexOf("di_") > -1) {
                      // Have its own image per drop down
                      SetSrc(what, "img_"+fieldnamemod, GetValue(what, "image_"+what.elements[i].options[what.elements[i].selectedIndex].value, form_id), form_id);
                      what.large.src= GetValue(what, "image_"+what.elements[i].options[what.elements[i].selectedIndex].value, form_id); //JDH
                      //don't process the price, because it'll be considered below when the dropdown option is parsed.

}

This works works initally but the Magic Zoom function will display the original picture.

My issue here is getting support on the dropimage function, with the newly introduced core themes. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

thx, June

Comment

NMTEACO - I'm not on a Core template yet, but you can find a good bit of information at https://core.3dcart.com/

Comment

DeanP I took a look at that the other day... but there seems to be no difference in the information to the regular templates. All variables are the same:

New Core:
                          https://core.3dcart.com/listing_x-html

Old Template:
                          https://www.3dcart.com/guide/template_listing_x.html

Comment

I think the "The Modular Approach to Theme Building" section has the best explanation. It mentions that editing a sidebar in the new core templates would be done on the leftbar.html template file, whereas presently that file doesn't exist; right now that left bar content is buried in the frame instead of having its own designated template. The advantage provided by the former method is that you can do all sorts of editing to your left sidebar without touching your main frame template. This means you can update your entire frame without having to recode your sidebar into it.

Comment

DeanP Thanks, I think I am starting to get it. It's a reworking of the template pages and how they work together... but not necessarily a reworking of how those pages interact with the backend.

Comment

Working...
                              X