Customizing Design Templates, Themes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customizing Design Templates, Themes

Hi. Any one got an example of what they've done to customize the templates? I don't mean changing colors or fonts. I mean adding detail, rearranging the layout, inserting lines, moving the product name and product ID as to where and how it displays? Things like that. We're trying to get our 3D cart to look more like our old cart. Don't want to scare the old users ... well, not too much, anyway.

Thanks,

Ken

I struggle daily trying to modify the templates. Unfortunately, certain versions of Windows won't allow you to edit the templates online.
    And, HTML editors wont help since refenrences inbedded within 3dcart templates wont allow you to edit a file outside of 3dcart. However, creating new content is easy with an html editor. :)
    There's no solution other than learning html code editing.

Comment

Hi Mark,

I'm actually quite good at html programming. The part I'm struggling with is how to integrate it with this software. Am I replacing custom_html1, or 2; style 1 or 2 or 3, ect. There has got to be some definitive programming manual, somewhere. And of course, the online pdf is just barely enough to get by on. Wouldn't take much to get me going; I just need a little push in the right direction. ;)

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

the knowledgebase is your best bet right now

as you will see it will take a while to get it down...but once you get it, its not too bad
        http://forums.3dcart.com/optimizing-...sary-code.html

Comment

each template is self contained in its folder. if a file exists in your template, it will use it. if it doesn't exist, then it will use the file in the 'common' folder.

turn off search friendly urls and you can see what each page is to customize it.

Comment

Well, after looking at your mods to the template, I've decided I don't know squat about html or coding. :D

Got a url to see this mod? Or some other customization you've done? :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I struggle daily trying to modify the templates. Unfortunately, certain versions of Windows won't allow you to edit the templates online.
              And, HTML editors wont help since refenrences inbedded within 3dcart templates wont allow you to edit a file outside of 3dcart. However, creating new content is easy with an html editor. :)
              There's no solution other than learning html code editing.
              Are you using Firefox or Internet EXplorer?

Comment

Internet explorer. I'll have to give the version number later, cause the one on my laptop is the one with the problem. When editing a template the browser hangs and goes "not responding". I don't have the issue on some machine with older browser. It's really not the way I should be editing I suppose. But it's handy if you just want to change a small bit.
                Also, when cut and paste, the formating is lost and alll the code appears on a single line with no word wrap. Makes further review of the template in the online window tedious if not imposible. And Also again, cut and paste formats the text to "strike-through" as well sometimes. Really annoying. Just don't know what I doing wrong! So, I'm trying to find out the best "offline" method.
                Last edited by Mark; 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Internet explorer. I'll have to give the version number later, cause the one on my laptop is the one with the problem. When editing a template the browser hangs and goes "not responding". I don't have the issue on some machine with older browser. It's really not the way I should be editing I suppose. But it's handy if you just want to change a small bit.
                  Also, when cut and paste, the formating is lost and alll the code appears on a single line with no word wrap. Makes further review of the template in the online window tedious if not imposible. And Also again, cut and paste formats the text to "strike-through" as well sometimes. Really annoying. Just don't know what I doing wrong! So, I'm trying to find out the best "offline" method.
                  Yeah, wysiwigs tend to be flakey, and ours has its mood swings. We'll have updates in the newest version, but ideally, you should be editing it offline.

Plus, ALWAYS KEEP A BACKUP!:)

Comment

Have you thought about buying and using Dreamweaver? This is all that I use for editing the templates. I find it to be much easier and I can save the files on my hard drive.

Comment

You all mention editting offline. Can you view your changes offline as well?
                      I would expect you would need the database loaded for this. How does this work? :confused:

Comment

I've been uploading the edited file to the site...live, which has been disastrous at times. I've learned two things that have so far worked for me: #1 keep a backup copy of the original file ready to go and upload immediately if the edited file throws things off and #2 for major changes - wait until late night to upload it when there's likely to be less visitors.

It doesn't seem like there would be a way to make changes and view offline, but if there is, I too would be interesting in knowing how to do this. It would save me a few gray hairs!

Comment

Originally posted by KennyE View Post
                          Hi. Any one got an example of what they've done to customize the templates? I don't mean changing colors or fonts. I mean adding detail, rearranging the layout, inserting lines, moving the product name and product ID as to where and how it displays? Things like that. We're trying to get our 3D cart to look more like our old cart. Don't want to scare the old users ... well, not too much, anyway.

Thanks,

Ken
                          We scared our old users to death when we left Monster and replaced it with our new 3DCart site, but they love it. Complete new layout and design thanks to Michelle at 3D. Sometimes you need to shake things up.
                          Steve Teske
                          Director of eCommerce
                          Hogan Walker LLC
                          www.GreenFunStore.com
                          www.GreenPartStore.com
                          www.FarmFunStore.com
                          www.HoganWalker.com

Comment

Originally posted by KennyE View Post
                            Well, after looking at your mods to the template, I've decided I don't know squat about html or coding. :D

Got a url to see this mod? Or some other customization you've done? :cool:
                            lol, well don't be too discouraged. try small changes at first and then work from there.

check PM

Comment

You all mention editting offline. Can you view your changes offline as well?
                              I would expect you would need the database loaded for this. How does this work? :confused:
                              3dcart works with templates that define how the data will show on the site. this is why you can make site-wide design changes in a flick of a switch.

generally you would make changes in Dreamweaver and then save the work directly to your server through dreamweaver's built in FTP. However, this means the changes are made live. no way to test out the changes except to see it on a live site, so you'd have to setup a second clone site if you wanted to test everything out before making it live. of course then you have a whole other bag of issues to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X