Red flag???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red flag???

I have a 4 line paragraph that is currently on all of my category pages, to increase the key words needed. In looking over the site it appears to be overkill, but I don't want to risk lowering my ranking for those specific words.

My background is white--if I make the type white also, so it just looks like a blank space, will that hurt me with Google?

Originally posted by rrw View Post
    My background is white--if I make the type white also, so it just looks like a blank space, will that hurt me with Google?
    I'm pretty sure it could hurt you. From what I understand this was a trick that many webmasters tried years ago. I heard that Google began penalizing sites that did this. If it were me, I would just leave it as is (in color) or if it really seems too redundant or doesn't sound natural - I would rewrite it so that it sounds good, yet still incorporates the keyword(s) you're trying to target for that page.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll just put it at the bottom in a light gray font--can still be seen, but isn't as noticeable. Think that would be OK?

Comment

I'm not sure what the rules are. I would search the Internet for "Keyword Spamming"
        The search engine crawlers can distinguish repetitive uses of keywords that are not in normal body text.

Comment

Oh no, these lines are relevant text, describing some of the reasons for shopping with us, they just happen to have many of our main key words in them. We have a step-by-step process for ordering on our site, and these words were placed at the top of each page--it was too busy for me, so I decided to move them to the bottom, more like a business "tag line". I think for now I'll go ahead and make them a light grey color--at least they can be seen, but just not so "in your face". :)

Comment

Working...
          X